Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Nvidia] 9800GTX+ problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2010 8:31:21 PM

Computer started freaking out recently after playing a game, 9800GTX+ stopped responding, but after much trying, I've gotten the computer to look normal again. BUT, I can't play games now and any type of video looks messed up. But, everything else looks normal.

Screenshots:

It was bad when the video card wasn't working. My motherboard logo was covered with artifacts, all of the text was incomprehensible, and I saw blue, green, and red colors sometimes like this.

So, to sum things up, everything is working normal on my PC except for streaming video and games. Desktop colors, websites all look normal.

More about : nvidia 9800gtx problem

October 15, 2010 8:40:46 PM

Okay, nevermind, the computer just froze. On my laptop now. :p 
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 8:56:05 PM

Sounds like the video card is dying honestly. GPU or VRAM issue on the card itself is most likely.

You probably should contact the manufacturer and see if your warranty is still good, and start the RMA process.

If you want to try troubleshooting, I'd say uninstall your drivers & installing newer ones to see if it fixes the problems (unlikely). Also, it's a good idea to run GPU-Z and see what it indicates your GPU temperature is, just to make sure your video card isn't overheating and causing issues there.

Is this video card OverClocked by you at all?
Related resources
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 8:56:36 PM

Should I state the obvious? lol
I would say the odds are pretty good your video card just died.
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 8:57:56 PM

I just realized one of your screen shots shows the GPU temp @ 65C. Is this an idle temp? This temperature isn't dangerous, and shouldn't cause problems with video play back at idle. However, if your Idle temp is this high, your gaming temp will be much higher which may cause problems.

Still, 65C isn't dangerous by itself, so if you're having these problems at 65C there's something wrong with the card.
October 15, 2010 8:59:40 PM

HWMonitor reported 65C before it froze last. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and using the newest from nVidia's website and also had Windows do it automatically for me, but this was the result. I've never had a video card die on me (for no reason either). Is there any way software could affect it breaking? A few days before I had problems, the computer had crashed and told me to system restore before I updated DirectX. Maybe that was just a precursor of the card just dying, and not from overheating. I've not overclocked, either.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 9:01:06 PM

jerreece said:
I just realized one of your screen shots shows the GPU temp @ 65C. Is this an idle temp? This temperature isn't dangerous, and shouldn't cause problems with video play back at idle. However, if your Idle temp is this high, your gaming temp will be much higher which may cause problems.

Still, 65C isn't dangerous by itself, so if you're having these problems at 65C there's something wrong with the card.

Good catch, I totally missed that.

I just upgraded from an EVGA 9800GTX+ and it idled at ~30C and hardly ever broke 60C even after hours of gaming. Generally that was one of the coolest running cards I have ever had.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 9:03:20 PM

You could try to take the heatsink off, reapply thermal paste and just make sure all the connections with the cooler are good.
October 15, 2010 9:04:41 PM

Honestly, the card had run at that temp idle since I got it over 2 years ago. I used a standard fan that came with my 790i motherboard and have never had much problems. The airflow in the case itself is fine (Antec, forgot the exact model, P180b possibly). I'm not sure how else I can reduce temperatures.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 9:08:36 PM

The 9800GTX+ make sure it is the + version, had a max of 85C. If you idle at 65C then you are reaching danger levels under load.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 9:11:49 PM

Ultimately, I'd honestly contact the manufacturer to start the RMA process. I'm thinking the card is just dead now. Whether heat caused a premature death or not, that'll be for the manufacturer to decide. But if you idled @ 65C for 2 years, I'm betting it was at least a factor for it's long term life.

Alternatively, if your warranty is expired, I'd start shopping for a replacement. Or, you can try redoing the thermal paste. But still, it sounds like there's some VRAM or other parts of the card that are toast. It shouldn't cause these problems @ 65C. Though that temp long term (and gaming temps being higher) likely shortened it's life.
October 15, 2010 9:20:35 PM

eVGA is willing to replace the card for me (hopefully that's the only problem the computer was having). If, for some reason, this replacement fixes everything, I'm thinking it's going to run at the same temperatures. Is there any way to reduce these? I'm not sure what else I could do with the case itself to reduce temperatures.
October 15, 2010 11:54:14 PM

Best answer selected by animemog.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
October 15, 2010 11:59:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!