A good time to buy?

The Horse Man

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hello all,

Just a quick question. My PC (Athlon 64 based!) is on its last legs now and I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm looking at an Athlon X4 of some nature, 4 gigs of ram, on board graphics or cheap card etc... Last PC has lasted me around 5 to 6 years with no upgrades, I expect the new one to do the same.

Use the P.C for browsing and movies / TV mostly, with the occasional bit of gaming (strategy usually)

My question is this; is it a good time to buy now? I see AMD have a new group of APU chips coming along for example. I've done a bit of reading around them, but haven't got a feel for if its going to be a major step forward.

As you can tell from my PC specs above, I'm not a hard core gamer, I'm never going to be spending huge amounts on graphics cards and the like, I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not making a mistake buying now rather than in 6 months. I'm familiar with the speed of advancement in computers, I'm just really trying to check that this new APU business ( or something similar) isn't about to make my purchase seem foolish.

Thanks very much for your time reading this.

The Horse Man

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
To be slightly more specific (I think) I read about AM3+ chipsets in Q1 maybe Q2 2011. Is this something worth waiting for? I'd be going in at the bottom of the AM3+ range I'm sure whereas I think I'm looking at the middle of the AM3 range.

Where's my damn crystal ball?!

Zenthar

Distinguished
Even if you are looking for AMD CPU, I would wait for Sandy Bridge in a month, at least to see it's impact on overall market prices. Moreover, Sandy Bridge's integrated GPU performance reaching the level of an HD 5450 card (a 40-50$ entry-level card) and twice as powerful as most on-board (see Anandtech's preview), it might be a perfect candidate for your very light gaming habits.

The Horse Man

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for that Zenthar. I was leaning towards waiting, nice to have some confirmation. There's suggestion that AMD will have to get their new chips out soon after Intel, so waiting seems a good idea!