Sign in with
Your question

My computer Wont Boot and monitor no signals

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2010 9:17:43 PM

I have a Packard bell iStart 2369 PC with 3gb ram, intergrated ati radeon xpress graphics, and Brand new 400w corsair PSU.
I ordered the HIS ATI radeon HD 5550 and the corsair 400w PSU the other day and they arrived today, i installed the PSU and it works with the PSU but as soon as i try and boot with the graphics card installed it wont boot, it only turns on and the fan spins etc but there is no signal to the monitor and i cant hear windows starting up in the background. can someone please help me, is it the graphics card? iv tried uninstalling the intergrated graphics and then putting the graphics card and turning the PC on but still the same problem. the PC works perfectly when the PSU is installed but the graphics card is not, so i am confused as to what is going on.
Please help
Mario
a c 546 U Graphics card
October 15, 2010 10:14:24 PM

Which connector is the monitor's video cable plugged into, the one that is connected to the motherboard's integrated graphics or to a port on the HD 5550 graphics card?

Inserting the HD 5550 will automatically disable the motherboard's integrated graphics controller. If your monitor's video cable is still plugged into the same port you were using before you installed the new HD 5550 then that would be your problem. You will have to move it to a port that is on the HD 5550 graphics card.
October 15, 2010 11:11:21 PM

i tried both, neither worked. im thinking it might be some sort of confliction, iv tried almost everything iv seen on the net to no prevail
Related resources
a c 546 U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 2:39:32 AM

Is the graphics card properly seated in the PCI Express x16 slot?

Is there a single beep when the computer is undergoing its Power On Self Test?
October 16, 2010 9:40:36 AM

no there is no post, and yes it is seated properly in the pci e x16 slot. all that happends when i turn on my pc is that the fan turns on and light is normal colour, but after a second its asif the computer has not been able to start up and starts again and again untill i switch it off. and the light on the dvd drve flashes
a c 546 U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 7:39:09 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
October 16, 2010 9:33:23 PM

yeah iv tried that too. and i tested the card today in another computer that is far better then mine with a larger psu etc and it works but it takes a long time to post almost 30 seconds to a minute to actualy get a signal on the monitor. im thinking maybe i need to update my bios.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:03:10 PM

Good questions from ko888. Especially catching the one about the monitor cable. People often overlook the very simple things like that. :) 

The ATI 5550 appears to have no PCI-E power connector. So you should not need to supply it with any additional power. So that shouldn't be your problem.

Assuming the GPU is properly seated in the PCI-E slot, and knowing all else works if you remove it, I'm leaning towards the fact that you might just have a DUD for a graphics card. :( 

October 16, 2010 10:05:19 PM

thats what i initialy thought but it actualy works on my friends computer with a asus mobo but it does take longer to boot when the card is in. but my computer just wont boot at all :( 
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:06:12 PM

Was trying to look up this PC on the Packard Bell UK site (it's in English). Can't find it. I wanted to get a model for the motherboard to check what PCI-E slot version it has.

I did find a forum thread through Google in which a guy with the same PC successfully installed a 9800GT video card. So we have that at least. :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:08:09 PM

marioel said:
thats what i initialy thought but it actualy works on my friends computer with a asus mobo but it does take longer to boot when the card is in. but my computer just wont boot at all :( 

Hmm. Was he able to play a game, or do any 3D applications with it to make sure it was fully functional?

Also, the ATI 5550 is a PCI-E x16 v2.0 type card. Those are usually backward compatible, however this could be a case of your motherboard not being compatible with the GPU. So if we can absolutely verify the card itself is fully functional and plays 3D applications/games properly, this may just be an incompatibility issue with your motherboard.
October 16, 2010 10:08:15 PM

yeah packardbell and being a nuisence, iv have the same problem when i was updating some drivers on a laptop i have thats packard bell about the same age as my pc. they have updeted the website and forgotten all about the old pcs and laptops theyve made, its realy anoying. if you need more information i can give the info from CPU-Z
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:10:11 PM

Pull the video card out of the PC, and get it functional again. Then download and install CPU-Z (www.cpuid.com) and run that application. Once open, it has a "Mainboard" tab which will give you details on your motherboard. This may give us a model number so we can try to figure out what your motherboard is compatible with.
October 16, 2010 10:14:46 PM

no we didnt actualy install it because i didnt want to mess about with his pc, all i know is that is booted with it inserted in the pci e slot. i wasnt aware that your motherboard could be incompatible with a graphics card even if it has the correct slot for it. iv got my pc running without the card and im using it atm, CPU-Z says :
manufacturer: packard bell
model: istart 2369
chipset: ati rs400/rc400/rc410 rev 1.0
southbridge: ati sb400
LPCIO: ITE IT8712

BIOS: American Megatrends inc.
Version: 080012
Date: 06/24/2006
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:20:22 PM

Hmmm. Found an ATI RS400 based motherboard made by ECS that has both AGP and PCI-E slots on it.

Anyhow, I just stumbled into a different question in my mind as I was thinking. Does the new video card connect to your monitor by DVI or VGA? Sometimes you have to change a setting on the monitor so it knows which input to use.
October 16, 2010 10:25:15 PM

vga, but the problem is with booting rather then the signal to the monitor, my pc doesnt actualy boot, i cant open the cd drive etc. but there is power in the pc as everything is on and the dvd drive light is flashing, my friends computer did the same untill it actualy worked
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:27:01 PM

Well, considering a lot of the RS400 based motherboards I'm finding are AGP, or AGP + PCI-E it's pretty safe to say you have a PCI-E 1.0 slot. So it's possible there could be a compatibility problem here.
October 16, 2010 10:32:31 PM

im pretty sure its pci e x16 but just to make sure, do both slots look exactly the same? and i come have a agp slot.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 10:51:10 PM

It does have a PCI-E x16 slot. But that slot has gone through revisions. There's a 1.0 version, 2.0 version, etc. Some of the earliest 1.0 versions might not be fully compatible with this 2.0 card. Or, it could be an issue with needing a BIOS update. Unfortunately, getting a BIOS update on an OEM motherboard like this is not very likely. I can't actually find your specific motherboard via Google. :( 

This video card might simply just not work in your PC. Might need to find an older PCI-E based video card to make it work, or even an AGP card.
October 16, 2010 11:00:39 PM

there is no AGP slot on my mother board. and the graphics card is pci e 2.1 which is backward compatible with pci e 1.0 and 2.0 :/ 
October 16, 2010 11:13:17 PM

can the bios update only be aquired from the manufacturer of my pc or can i just update the ami bios using the ami website?
October 16, 2010 11:20:04 PM

marioel said:
there is no AGP slot on my mother board. and the graphics card is pci e 2.1 which is backward compatible with pci e 1.0 and 2.0 :/ 

Bingo we found our problem!!!

Pci 2.1 cards are having a ton of problems :(  Atleast you know its not your fault now :) 
October 16, 2010 11:25:06 PM

arg so what do i do now? RMA?
October 16, 2010 11:30:03 PM

marioel said:
arg so what do i do now? RMA?

RMA and refund and try to get a pci 2.0 this time.

If you bought you card via newegg call/live chat them and ask them to wave the restock fee
October 16, 2010 11:51:48 PM

marioel said:
i bought it from overclockers, any ideas?
i saw this card which i thought i might get instead of the one i have, its PSI 2.0 aswel
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...
what do you guys think?

I don't know how there RMA process works, but I'm sure they have one *But I bet its not as good as neweggs =p*

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/support.php

But ya that should work.

Good luck!

And post back here when you get it so we can see how it works :) 
!