Gigabyte 5850 & ASUS ve276Q Display port frustration!!

G

Alright hardware gurus, I need some help with a displayport problem. The monitor and video card support displayport. However, Catalyst keeps telling me that It can't output the resolution to the monitor. Any help ideas? All drivers and bios are current. The only thing i thought it could be was the cable but i'm having doubts about that. I need to have this figured out ASAP so i can Either return the parts causing the problems or (hopefully) get it working!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Are you saying that when you're connected via the Displayport, that you can't output your maximum monitor supported resolution, or that you're getting no display to your monitor at all?

If it's the former, what's the max resolution you're getting? If it's the latter, I'd wager it's a bad cable.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
worth trying another cable if you are able to get a hold of one without paying (though that could be tough, since they are so unused).

it does seem the most likely problem. which 5850 do you have? i know a few 5 series cards have trouble with displayport and require a BIOS update. i forget exactly which, but if you can provide the make of your card i can do some googling.

G

Thanks for responding! It was the cable. Be wary of displayport cables from amazon or monoprice. I went to radioshack and BAM worked like a charm. The videocard is a GIGABYTE|GV-R585OC-1GD. It could be either the monitor or the video card being picky but if you also have the same monitor (asus VE276q) just go to radioshack for your cable. I'm 100% certain that these monoprices and amazon cable wont work with this setup. I've never had to post to a forum before to ask a question about how to fix my own builds but this one did it! Thanks for chiming in and offering to google on my behalf.