New Build no sound

Niub

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi, I just build my first computer today and most things went well.. Except I touched the thermal compound on the cpu fan. :( I don't think that matters that much...

The biggest problem I have so far is that there is no sound.

my build:
MOBO + system COMBO:
BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD MOBO + Win 7

Case with PSU:
Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W PSU

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

GPU:
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD :
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

MEMORY:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ

There is sound when I use the earphone though.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Touching the thermal compaund though not advisable will not cause any issue. Unless you smeared it on with your finger It might make the compund a little less effective but probably only by 1-3 degrees. No harm done.

I assume the headphones work from the back panel where your speakers are plugging into. That tells me that it's not the computer at all but that you have old un-amplified speakers. I've many old speakers that do not work on new M/B because they changed to digital audio which does not properly provide amplification to underpowered analog speakers.. If that's the case run to staples and grab some cheap Cyber acustic 2.1 speakers for 20-30$. These are nice sounding cheapo speakers with a small sub woofer. These will need to plug into the wall and I bet that they will work if you

So you get sound from the headphones. Is this from the front panal ports? Or the back panal? I will assume from the front plugs for the next paragraph only.

But no sound through your speakers? OR is this via HDMI to a tv like monitor? If you are trying to do sound over HDMI it's a simple fix. 2 things if its an onboard HDMI then theres no extra wires. If it's over your VIdeo card you MIGHT need a tiny spdif cable connecting the video card to the spdiff head on the motherboard. I think you ATI card doesn't need this though. Second is open control panel open the sound manager. Either the windows one or the driver specific one for you sound card. IE realtek audio panel or whatever. Set the HDMI device to the default device. This will tell windows to output sound via the HDMI ports and not the back panal. Don't know why but windows will not auto switch between hdmi and back panal ports.

If i was wrong in any assumption let my know and I'll try to give better advice.