Sign in with
Your question

Newly Built Desktop Not Turning On - Green Mobo Light Only

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2010 10:26:24 PM

Hi,

I just built a new desktop and wired everything together and turned the power on. The only thing that turned on is the "Stand by" LED(green) on the motherboard. The fans are not running and when I connected the monitor to the DVI port, it does not detect a signal.
I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking that the "Power SW" is DOA from the case, but how can I be sure?

Here are my system specs:

Processor Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58
RAM CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB
Graphics Card EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750WPLUS
Tower Case NZXT Apollo Black
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
December 11, 2010 11:40:27 PM

you can try to turn around the power switch on the mobo sometimes the = - might not of been put in the right way. also do you have the 4 or 8 pin power for the CPU pluged into the mobo ? If you can post some pics of the mobo. Also on the website is a post about boot problems, read the step in that post and try them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
December 12, 2010 1:59:51 AM

I tested my psu and it is working. I tested by putting a paper clip in the green and black pins of the 24-pin connector and turned the power on; the fans were working fine, but when I plugged the 24-pin and 8-pin connector to the mobo the fans stopped spinning. The green "stand by" LED on the mobo was still on though....
Does this mean the mobo is DOA? It's receiving power, but not working.
Related resources
December 12, 2010 2:13:45 AM

You can try to bypass the start button on the mobo ?
December 12, 2010 2:18:22 AM

Try to reset your ram also, read your mobo manual but most should be in the 1st slot by the CPU then the 3rd slot.
December 12, 2010 5:10:24 PM

I am no expert and in fact built my first PC all by myself only 2 weeks ago. All I can say is that for 2 days I was so distraught by what parts might be DOA when I had the exact problem as you have.

MoBO LED light turns on, but nothing else works. If you short the 24-pin with a paper clip, the fans work. this means the PSU is not dead. But then if you plug it back in, again only the MoBo LED lights up.

For 2 days I kept at it, going through tons of webpages and breadboarding my components - still nothing. Until I accidentally checked the 2 pins of my front panel power SW.. I had actually connected the SW to the wrong pins..!

Do you have a ASUS-Q connector that came with the MoBo..? Please quadruple-check all the connectors before you begin to worry about stuff being DOA..!
December 18, 2010 11:02:03 PM

nerd-doc said:
I am no expert and in fact built my first PC all by myself only 2 weeks ago. All I can say is that for 2 days I was so distraught by what parts might be DOA when I had the exact problem as you have.

MoBO LED light turns on, but nothing else works. If you short the 24-pin with a paper clip, the fans work. this means the PSU is not dead. But then if you plug it back in, again only the MoBo LED lights up.

For 2 days I kept at it, going through tons of webpages and breadboarding my components - still nothing. Until I accidentally checked the 2 pins of my front panel power SW.. I had actually connected the SW to the wrong pins..!

Do you have a ASUS-Q connector that came with the MoBo..? Please quadruple-check all the connectors before you begin to worry about stuff being DOA..!

Hi thanks for the advice, I do have the ASUS-Q connector and attached it then attached the POWER SW and still the problem remained. The thing that troubles me is how do you test each component and find out if its DOA or not? Because if the mobo was DOA, u wont be able to test the ram or cpu right? So everything is kinda depending if the mobo is DOA. But another thing is, what if the case's POWER SW failed? How would I know?
December 19, 2010 12:06:59 AM

allen9190 said:
Hi thanks for the advice, I do have the ASUS-Q connector and attached it then attached the POWER SW and still the problem remained. The thing that troubles me is how do you test each component and find out if its DOA or not? Because if the mobo was DOA, u wont be able to test the ram or cpu right? So everything is kinda depending if the mobo is DOA. But another thing is, what if the case's POWER SW failed? How would I know?

Do you have the 8 pin power connection for your CPU pluged into your mobo ?

you can also try to bypass the case power SW
December 19, 2010 5:07:27 AM

I do have the 24-pin and 8-pin connectors attached to the mobo.
How would I bypass the case power SW ?
December 19, 2010 4:00:42 PM

allen9190 said:
I do have the 24-pin and 8-pin connectors attached to the mobo.
How would I bypass the case power SW ?

touch the wires together
!