[Chipset & BIOS]

sryii

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
So I have a laundry list of problems on my wife's computer. Recently, while playing a computer game her system froze up and we did a hard restart. The log on took forever and from then on it was very slow to startup and to log on. She had a bad sector on her drive which the seagate tools said it was able to fix and it worked much better but its still a bit slow. Another problem that sprang up while I was looking at the issues was she got some Post beep errors. We are getting the normal start up beeps followed by 3 short beeps which for the AMI bios I believe it means a RAM issue.

Here is what I did:

1) took out 2 of the 4 sticks and restarted but the beeps still persisted

2) put in the other 2 sticks by themselves but the beeps still persisted

3) ran a memory diagnostic on the first set(they were dual sticks so I figured its best to test them together since I will have to RMA them together) and it showed up with an error! I should start the RMA process but I haven't

4) ran a memory diagnostic on the second set(also dual) and they came up fine but the bios beeps still persist.

Is there some sort of basic thing I am missing? Is the BIOS right and the memory diagnostic wrong?

My specs are:

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K9A2VM-FD AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor HD995ZXAGHBOX
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR4GK **The theoretically good set but still throwing errors**
VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

If you don't want to rma the ocz ram, look for some used ddr2 on craigslist. I found 2x2gb of wintec the other day installed on an old am3 board for only $35. Both the board and ram work fine. Also check your motherboard hardware monitor section for the cpu temp. Idle temp for your cpu shouldn't be higher than 40c.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
3 short beeps is ram trouble indeed
the memory diagnostic should be done before the OS loads
if no fault was found- i can't find an explanation why the error persists with perfectly good rams - try restore bios defaults?
if that doesn't work- it may be an option to set the spd manually- and not using the default values - for ddr2 check the rams SPD in either everest or Aida programs - then set values in bios- if you screw up - your pc might not boot - but a bios reset solves the problems then... hope i helped.