grantwatson

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi All,

I'm using a HP DL360 G3 server to monitor and record IP security cameras. I have a number of analog cameras that I would like to get working with the same system, the idea was to install a 4 or 8 channel DVR card, the issue is this server only has PCI-X slots.

From reading information that I have found out there in the net I have come to the following concussions, is someone able to confirm this.

With a PCI-X slot I can install a PCI 2.0 card and this should work?

Thanks
Grant

Solution
found an article on it..

PCI-X is generally backward-compatible with most cards based on the PCI 2.x[1] or later standard, meaning that a PCI card can be installed in a PCI-X slot, provided it has the correct voltage keying for the slot and (if inserting into a 32-bit slot) nothing obstructs the overhanging part of the edge connector. Originally the PCI bus was a 5-volt bus. Later, in PCI Revision 2.x, the PCI bus was a dual-voltage interconnect. In 3.0 this was changed to 3.3 volts only. The PCI-X bus is not compatible with the older 5-volt cards but newer 3.3-volt PCI cards will work in a PCI-X slot.[1] Apart from this, PCI and PCI-X cards can generally be intermixed on a PCI-X bus, but the speed will be limited to the speed of the...

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
found an article on it..

PCI-X is generally backward-compatible with most cards based on the PCI 2.x[1] or later standard, meaning that a PCI card can be installed in a PCI-X slot, provided it has the correct voltage keying for the slot and (if inserting into a 32-bit slot) nothing obstructs the overhanging part of the edge connector. Originally the PCI bus was a 5-volt bus. Later, in PCI Revision 2.x, the PCI bus was a dual-voltage interconnect. In 3.0 this was changed to 3.3 volts only. The PCI-X bus is not compatible with the older 5-volt cards but newer 3.3-volt PCI cards will work in a PCI-X slot.[1] Apart from this, PCI and PCI-X cards can generally be intermixed on a PCI-X bus, but the speed will be limited to the speed of the slowest card. For example, a PCI 2.3 device running at 32 bits and 66 MHz on a PCI-X 133-MHz bus will limit the total throughput of the bus to 266 MB/s. To get around this limitation and the voltage compatibility issue, many motherboards have separate PCI-X channels that can be dedicated to different PCI hardware families if needed, allowing for better backward compatibility while maintaining higher total system bandwidth.

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

in other words.. yes(usually) but it may cause slowdowns if other pci-x cards are on that bus.

and since the slot is big some funky pci cards may not physically fit correctly.

Solution