New box, no POST, automatic Underclocking?

sqwishy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
My RAM is clocked at 2133Mhz. My motherboard, Sabertooth 990FX, supports up to 1866Mhz. I was under the impression that the RAM would be underclocked. However, my machine does not POST.

After turning on the computer, the DRAM LED (adjacent to the MemOK button) turns on and stays on. If I hold down the MemOK button and release it after a few seconds the DRAM LED blinks several times, then the CPU LED blinks, then the DRAM LED blinks faster, then the CPU LED blinks, then the DRAM LED blinks even faster, etc .... Eventually, the DRAM LED returns solid on like how it was when I first turned the computer on.

Try just one ram stick in dimm slot one (find using white id lettering or board manual). If the board still won't post, try reseting the bios by removing the board battery for a few seconds. If it runs with one stick, test it with memtest; if it passes, test all the other ram sticks one at a time to check for errors.

sqwishy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

I tried that. And I have I tried clearing the CMOS. It does not POST in any case.

I would mount the board on a wooden board or the box it came in, and try a barebones test. If the board has onboard video, use that. I use a plain flathead screwdriver to fire up the board, touching all around the pin cluster for the case connections until the board powers up. Reseat one stick in dimm slot one. The most common mistake is not having the ram fully seated into the slot.