Strange problem with memory

snowjim

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi,

I have recently bought the computer in the sign below.

The first memory I got in to this computer was :

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz XMS3 1,5V
Article nr : CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

This worked grate! But then I switched memmory because :

1. The "B" in the Article nr states that its a AMD specific memory, but in this case there is sticker on the memorybox stating that it is also supporting i5 and i7. Corsair says that if the computer works then there is no need to switch. But to be sure of stability I need to run Prime95 for a day or so and with stock cooler I really dont dare to do that(temp above 85 degree with prime95).

2. But then in another conversation with Corsair thay say that VENGEANCE is a updated memmory that handels OC better and have a better cooling.

So I switched to :

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
Article nr : CML8GX3M2A1600C9

The "A" in the article nr states that its for Intel.

The problem is that the first memoryworks grate but when switching for the new one the mouse laggs for example when logging in to Windows7 or starting Winamp. The System does however works fine, its no problem to play for example BF3 in a couple of hours.

So the question is why this problem with the new memory? I have tried to switch back to the old once and the problem is gone?

The Bios runs in auto and this means that both memories is running in 1600 Mhz at 1.5V

Have I missed a setting or why do I get this problem with the new memory?

Computer spec : CPU : Intel Core i7 2600K Motherboard : Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P B3 Graphiccard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Windforce OS disk : Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD Chassi : Fractal Design Define r3 Ppwersupply : Corsair 650W

And you believed it. Such great marketing. If it ain't broke, don't change it. CL9 ram is the most common variety. Corsair can claim whatever it wants to, but ram runs differently on various boards. It may overclock slightly better on their test board, but not yours. Run cpuz and see what timings your new ram is running at; I'll bet it's the same as your old ram. Cpuz will list your ram speed as 800 (half the actual number). I don't know what setting the board may have changed with the new ram. Maybe your mouse problem is totally unrelated to the new ram.

snowjim

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
You are probably right.

I have now taken some screens on CPU-z with both the old and the new memory.

CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 (Old)
0ZohD.jpg

And this is the new one :

CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (New)
XaaUM.jpg

This time when switching back to the new once I did not get the laggy mouse?

I see that there is some differences between the memories but which one is the best?

Only difference in performance is the irc reading. The old one is 34, which may be a tad faster. But since you're seeing no difference in the cpu overclock, it makes no difference. If your motherboard has 4 dimm slots, run them both. If not, pick the one set with the heatsink that matches your color scheme or the one without the laggy mouse. Honestly, it doesn't matter performance wise.