Jul 12, 2010
I bought my system nearly six years ago with:
Gigabyte M55SLI-S4
Athlon 64 3500+
1G PC2-6400 (400MHz)
EVGA GeForce 7600
Realtetek AC'97 Audio
All obsolite by now, no doubt.

Over the years I have replaced worn out parts and small upgrades amounting to it's current Specs:
Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 ... Still
Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.31GHz
Melco 1MBx2 PC2-6400 (400MHz)
EVGA GeForce 1G GTS 250 & EVGA GeForce GTS 250-HMDI
ASUS Xonar DS Audio

Still nothing to write home about, but getting me by. The GTS 250-HDMI was bought because I thought I could run HDMI to our flat screen. I discovered that 1) I needed to cable the audio to the GPU to be able to run to the flat screen, so the Xonar was bought. Then to my dismay I find that the Xonar needed to be HDMI'd from the mobo which the Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 is lacking any such port(?). So it looks as though I need a mobo upgrade.

What I think I asking help for is which mobo's would fit the bill for now, using the same hardware I have at the moment and upgrades that will no doubt be on the way. Upgrades such as a 4-6 core AMD, DDR3 sticks and, further down the line, Nividia or AMD GPU's.

I don't think I will ever go beyond midrange items even though what I have now would probably not seem much more than a budget system. I am looking for midrange hardware though.

Another item I will be replacing will be the case. Help with that would be appreciated as well. Since it is used in the living room and will be used for streaming to the flat screen, ideas on a quiet case and cooling setup will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to any time put into this, it has been on my mind for some time.

Glasher

TRENDING THREADS