Planning to upgrade

darkly scanner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
hello, soon I'm planning to upgrade a pre-build PC which I brought some time ago, here are the Specs that I have:

MB:G31M-GS R2.0
CPU:Intel Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
GC: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
HDD:1TB 7200RPM (IDE)
RAM:4GB (2x2) DDR2 @ 800MHz
PSU:ATX 12V 450 watts
Case:galaxy III

I'm planning to upgrade the:

MB:ASRock P55DE3
CPU:Intel I5-760 @ 2.8GHz
RAM:Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB (1x4) DDR3 @ 1333MHz

I'm also planning to change the HDD to a SATA II (at least), Sharkoon Case Fan (to replace the LED which will save some power) and a Zotac GeForce GTS 450 AMP 1GB GC if possible. my main concern is that I do not have a big enough PSU or a good enough cooling. I'm also not planning to OC

would all this be possible without upgrading the PSU? or cooling system? Thanks.

acer0169

Distinguished
I would have thought your PSU would be okay, but depending on the quality I would suggest looking at a new 550 or 650W PSU from a well know make, such as Corsair or Arctic.

Also.. maybe look around for some other motherboards. I've had no end of issues with ASRock boards, and although they've got better over time - I still stay away from them. ASUS and GIGABYTE have some of the most stable and reliable boards.

darkly scanner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

Indeed.

MY PSU is <7 months old with moderate usage so I'm automatically assuming 445ish,I suppose this isn't an immediate problem? if so then I will consider buying one of the PSUs you have suggested mid-late 2011 (if it lives that long) as they are looking quite expensive :heink:

_tru_

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
you should be ok, since your psu is still young. Even if it does go bad your manufactures warranty should hold out until you can find a better psu. but if you MUST upgrade psu NOW then i could list some budget psu's. however i dont usually like to recc budget psu's since id personally rather spend 10 - 30$ more for longevity and efficiency than price. i.e. would u rather spend 60$ on a psu with 85%+ efficiency thatll last you a few yrs or 20$ on a 70% efficiency psu that you have to replace every few months?

As far as cooling goes if your not planning to OC then the stock fan usually does the job. just replace the stock paste with some AS for better cooling results.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
I agree with acer on the mainboard. ASUS or Gigabyte. I have been using these mainboards for years and have not had any problems.