Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 460M vs core i7 2720Q

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 8, 2011 7:52:49 PM

So i've been a bit lazier recently with my tech news so i'm not completely on top of the latest tech. Anyways.....to the point, i already made a post in the laptop section, but really few people hang around there to be helpful but i'm pretty well set on getting a dell xps 15 the only thing I'm debating is upgrading to a new sandy bridge. So is $250 worth the upgrade to a sandy bridge quad core?

Normally I would say it's not worth it, but i'm an engineerings student, so some I figure that extra cpu power could really come in handdy for stuff like matlab, and the modeling, i'm bound to do later on

More about : core 460m core 2720q

March 8, 2011 9:50:10 PM

it would be $800, vs $1050, really don't want to spend more then the 1050, really more then i want to pay, but i'm a sucker for new tech
a c 101 à CPUs
March 8, 2011 10:38:34 PM

MATLAB and modeling will use the extra threads and will benefit from the larger L3 cache of the i7-2720QM.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 9, 2011 1:58:50 AM

could you make some suggestions i personally find asus page somewhat difficult to navigate, and i'm also not a firm believer in the more ram = faster pc. I have 6gb on my desktop and have never come close to filling it, so i'd personally be fine with just 4gb
March 9, 2011 4:00:17 AM

If you are going to need this extra speed i7 then spend the extra 300. You wont want to end up buying the xps 15 and within a few months need more then its offering. Just throw down the extra money and maybe a little more into faster ram. Or go with a cheaper brand, and upgrade it to its maximum.
!