I need better a better graphics card

Hello,

I currently have:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
4096MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Resolution of 1826 x 1006 at 1080p 30hz refresh rate

I'm currently looking around to find a powerful graphics for around $500 dollars max that will run on my HP Pavilion.
I can support a dual slot, and would prefer something quiet though noise isn't too important.

With my current set up I'm surprisingly able to run Fallout 3 at ~mid graphics though my system has trouble with Call of Duty: World at War.
7 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. You can build a new PC with an amd quad core for a little more money. Any recent video card over $120 will probably be bottle-necked by your processor.
  2. If you have $500, you could sell everything except the RAM and HDD (perhaps case also if you want) and start over.

However, if you don't want to fiddle around this much, a GTS450/HD5750 should do you fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859&cm_re=HD_5750-_-14-102-859-_-Product http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342&cm_re=GTS_450-_-14-125-342-_-Product

The CPU is a bit weak though, and since you cant OC on a HP, Id suggest that be your next thing to upgrade.
  3. Seriously? $500 is a waste to spend on a graphics card with such a slow CPU. You could upgrade the CPU to a faster core 2 e7500 or e8400 or something and then get a gtx460 to pair it with and it should be running sweet. First you should check the Power supply ratings. How many watts? how many amps on the 12v rail/rails. That may be the limiting factor as to what GFX card you can use. You may need a new PSU.
  4. Well, i have been considering building a computer myself, possibly case and all, though I have no idea where to start...
    Honestly, I think I'd prefer an NVidia card, mostly because many of the games I have are "designed" to work best on them.
    Another idea I was considering was getting an AlienWare and taking out the standard graphics card and placing something a bit more powerful in it.
    Any ideas on motherboards, CPUs, ram, etc?
  5. Whats your full budget? Also the planned usage? Parts you don't need? Parts you want?
    We should be able to whip up complete builds if you gave us enough information.
  6. Grymmas said:
    Resolution of 1826 x 1006 at 1080p 30hz refresh rate
    These numbers make no sense besides 1080p so I'll go with that.

You don't really need to build a new system, just upgrade the one you have. If your motherboard can handle an E2200 it can almost definitely use core 2 quads. One of those will run you $150-200. An HD6850(recommended) or GTX 460 is $180-200. You will likely need to upgrade your power supply as well. A 500w of a good brand can usually be had for $50-60. Does your current motherboard have overclocking options in the BIOS?
  7. well e2200 is only 800fsb and most new quad cores are 1333, which I doubt the MB supports. so motherboard specs are needed. Its a HP so the computer is likely to be limited in both motherboard and PSU power.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Graphics Product