Is my CPU running too hot? (AMD Athlon II x3 435)

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I just purchased the AMD Athlon II x3 345 and I've been running some tests using HWMonitor by CPUID. These are the temperatures that I'm getting:

IDLE Temp: 43-44C
Playing Starcraft II on HIGH settings Temp: 61C

Bear in mind, I'm currently using this CPU on a stock cooler. Is this a safe temperature to be operating at? I don't want to risk incurring any damage as I cannot afford to buy another CPU. Thanks in advanced!

What is your ambient temperature? If your ambient temperature is high then your CPU temperatures will be high as well. What is the highest ambient temperature you are likely to experience? Add the difference in ambient temperature to your current temperature to your current CPU temperature to find your maximum temperature. If this temperature is higher than about 70 then you will need to do something about this. By using a heatsink compound such as Arctic Silver over normal heatsink compound you could reduce your temperatures by up to 6 degrees or so.
I personally like to keep my CPU temperatures less than 60 degrees..

Ouch, are those at stock speeds? Well, it's still o.k for that CPU, but I wouldn't overclock it without at least adding some case fans ^_^. The boxed cooler does o.k for the X3s, but of course it's still a bit lacking especially if you have poor airflow in your case