Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't turn on

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2011 1:02:22 AM

So I recently bought a used computer for about 300 bucks and have run into a major issue. The computer was working fine the only issue I was having was that the time on my computer would always fall behind. I assumed it was just an old CMOS battery and was gonna replace it eventually. Its been a few months now (working great) and suddenly my computer won't turn on. I replaced the power supply recently went from 400 to 650W. Computer worked great on the new power supply, for the past 2 months. So here's what I've done so far to try and troubleshoot the problem:
1. replaced PSU with old one to make sure it wasn't the new PSU that was causing the problem. (Didn't work with the old PSU either)
2. Was trying to clear CMOS memory. Realized there was no jumper cap at all. Got one from my old comp, put it on 2-3 for about and hour and then placed it on 1-2. (Computer turned on, but couldn't turn it off. So had to use power off switch on PSU, but now won't turn on again.)
3. Cleaned all contacts with isopropyl (99%) to ensure no bad contacts, still won't fire up.
What else can I do? Would it be damaging to my motherboard that I never had a jumper cap on 1-2 of the CMOS for about 5 months?
Specs:
Corsair TX-650W PSU
AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black CPU
4 GB Fatality DDR2 memory
ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe mobo
ATI Radeon 5770 1GB video card

More about : computer turn

a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2011 9:30:57 AM

Pins 1-2 are just a "placekeeper" for the jumper cap as far as I know, pin 1 isn't even connected to anything. Remember you have to take the power cable out of the PSU, remove the CMOS battery and then plug the jumper onto 2-3. Leave it there for 5-10 seconds, and put the jumper back to 1-2. Replace the CMOS battery, plug in and turn the PC on.

Go into your BIOS and make sure you don't have the RAM or something overclocked.

Also, is the PC not switching on at all, or do the fans come on? Or does it give you a beeping noise the whole time? Does the fans go click-click and then stay dead? When was the last time you reseated the CPU heatsink with fresh thermal grease?
m
l
March 9, 2011 2:02:31 PM

I haven't ever reseated the heatsink with thermal grease. The PC is not turning on at all. There is no beep, no fans turning on.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2011 2:56:31 PM

I followed those exact steps for clearing CMOS. The first time I did, everything turned on fine, but when I tried to turn it off the power button and reset buttons were not working. So I had to pull the plug on the PSU. Now when I try the same method to clear CMOS, it won't power on at all
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2011 4:15:21 AM

OK no switching on is a new problem. Might be PSU. Check and see if the power indicator light on the motherboard lights up. If it does, then the PSU might be faulty. If it doesn't, it may be a connector or in fact the motherboard. It's not a bad idea to get a friend to help you out, someone with more or less the same PC. Swap parts on the PC with working parts from his and see if you can troubleshoot the problem from there.

:) 
m
l
March 10, 2011 4:36:49 PM

The motherboard light is on. I have my old power supply and my old desktop so I swapped with my old tower to see what the problem was. My power supply is fine when I plugged it into my old comp it fired up. I feel it may be the mobo. The fact that the power supply works means that the computer should at least make a beep or some fans should at least turn on, right?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2011 4:55:44 PM

Yes. If you press the power button the fans should at least spin for half a second, and the drives and things should fire up for a second before dying. Probably mobo then. :/ 
m
l
!