Sign in with
Your question

Specialty Server Build

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2010 4:24:41 PM

I am building a server myself and could use some advise on what to purchase in the way of parts so I actually build what I need.
I have needs here that are specific foremost, and everything else is just a bonus after that.

I need to run an application that I have designed an coded myself.
The server is going to be connected to the internet of course but it is going to be filtering incoming data in real time. This data (packets) will be cross referenced against a database (which I hope can be part of this system, not a separate server) in real time and then, "if" there is a match, the application moves forward with that data, "else" if not, it passes the data downstream to another server as unrecognized.
This system also needs to run an SMS application to send a generated message as my application will need to access and use SMS to terminate with success. Each incoming packet of data will execute the application program so in reality the application program could be running 100's, if not 1,000's of times simultaneously at varying points of progress. It all has to be done as fast as possible and delays in the process are unacceptable. Just smooth and quick is all I need....

I just feel it in my bones that I am going to have to configure a server that has something special/specific in the way of hardware, software, or both to pull this off.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~Mesmer
mastermesmer@yahoo.com
sub: Specialty Server Build

More about : specialty server build

December 12, 2010 5:06:00 PM

Please,

Any reply with useful information is a good reply.
m
l
December 12, 2010 7:13:44 PM

Hello mastermesmer;

Have you run any tests of your application so far? Any measurements of how the app performs on your development system?
It would help a lot to know where the heaviest loads pile up to know were to best deploy the right hardware to meet your needs.

If this is going to be an app you plan to market you might want to think about a 'standard server' so you can get metrics (performance measurements) that apply to a real work environment and not some 'hot rodded' specialty server.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2010 8:44:51 PM

That is the thing here. I have not run it within a server prototype test bed yet. For this project to move forward I need a place to put everything together and run simulated scenarios of user traffic... right now everything is just being test for runtime errors and the like within a console. I need a server. I f a standard server with all around good qualities will pull this off then I should just go ahead and build. Right?
m
l
December 12, 2010 9:39:03 PM

There is no reason you can't run a couple validation tests on any standard desktop PC configured with the target OS and server software (Server 2008 or linux/Apache server for example). Even a lowly dual core desktop CPU would be do the job for an initial cut at the performance requirements.

What OS/server/database software are you targeting? Have a budget in mind for your server project?
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:46:10 PM

WR2 said:
There is no reason you can't run a couple validation tests on any standard desktop PC configured with the target OS and server software (Server 2008 or linux/Apache server for example). Even a lowly dual core desktop CPU would be do the job for an initial cut at the performance requirements.

What OS/server/database software are you targeting? Have a budget in mind for your server project?

+1 to WR2. Need to know the answers to these questions in order to proceed. Also, need to understand what type of network connectivity will be used (both internal and external) as that will impact performance as well.

Given all of this, from my read a standard server, as suggested with plenty of memory and nearly any modern multi-core CPU with appropriate storage can be configured to do this sort of task. There just isn't sufficient information here to make a more qualified suggestion.

Last, do you want to build or just buy a server? While similar, building a server is not the same as building a gaming system.

Please clarify your needs and I am sure we can help.
m
l
!