Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

To Crossfire or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 16, 2010 4:55:23 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to increase my computers FPS in the games I play. My system specs are:
MSI K9A2 Platinum
AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8Ghz
4 gigs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Diamond ATI Radeon 5750 HD 1 gig
Ultra 700 Watt PSU (crossfire cert.)
WD 160gb SATAII HD

My ultimate question is whether or not to get another video card or to upgrade my CPU for the most increase in FPS. If I end up upgrading my CPU, I will have to update the BIOS on my motherboard. So what do you guys think? Another 5750 in crossfire mode or a quad core CPU? Which will yelled the most performance increase accross the board in newer games? Thanks for the advice! -tRad23

More about : crossfire

a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:03:31 PM

What games do you play and at what res?

The thing with your system is that its pretty balanced. ATM, the CPU is holding you back slightly in most games but not much.

However, The CPU will hold you back substantially if you crossfire, yet if you get a quad, the difference for certain games wouldn't be as much as you expect due to your GPU being just average.

A nice option is getting a cheap Athlon II X3/X4, and OC your GPU.
October 16, 2010 5:14:28 PM

Thanks for the advice. Im sorry, I forgot to mention that my video card is overclocked, stock is 700/1150. I have it set to 800/1300 and I can go way higher (tested at 870/1430 and worked fine). I play games such as battlefield bad Company 2, medal of honor, call of duty modern warfare 2, flight sim x, source games.... I love good grahpics but I also cant stand when its choppy so I play these games at 1024X768 or higher depending on FPS.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:17:08 PM

an athlon ii x4 and a cheap heatsink like the hyper 212+ would be ideal before you buy another card, your current cpu will bottleneck hard if you crossfire
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:20:17 PM

tRad23 said:
Thanks for the advice. Im sorry, I forgot to mention that my video card is overclocked, stock is 700/1150. I have it set to 800/1300 and I can go way higher (tested at 870/1430 and worked fine). I play games such as battlefield bad Company 2, medal of honor, call of duty modern warfare 2, flight sim x, source games.... I love good grahpics but I also cant stand when its choppy so I play these games at 1024X768 or higher depending on FPS.

Well both BFBC2 and FSX heavily tax your CPU, so its worth it to get a new CPU as performance will increase dramatically for those 2.
whats your budget though?
October 16, 2010 5:22:34 PM

A new 5750 is about $150 so my budget is around that, whether its for a CPU or the video card.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:27:19 PM
Share

Well, heres a great option for $160 that includes a better CPU and a 5750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
October 16, 2010 5:30:44 PM

Wow thats great! I cant believe I didnt see that. It doesnt matter that the video cards will be a different brand right?
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:31:29 PM

that's a sick deal right there!

and no it doesn't matter as long as they're the same frequency and memory
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:35:18 PM

tRad23 said:
Wow thats great! I cant believe I didnt see that. It doesnt matter that the video cards will be a different brand right?

You can even get a HD5770 if you can find a better deal. As long as the cards are in the same series you'll be fine.

Though one more thing, can you wait a couple of days and sell the 5750? If you can wait, a single HD 6850 for around ~$200 can most likely beat CF5750s when it gets released in a week.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:39:01 PM

i doubt the 5850 will be around $200
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:40:54 PM

wiinippongamer said:
i doubt the 5850 will be around $200

It will, remember the 6800s is replacing the 5700s, while the 5800 successors are being renamed into HD5900s.
October 16, 2010 5:41:09 PM

That is where I am iffy. My motherboard is a little old so I dont know how a brand new vid card such as the 6850 would work on it. I've had issues in the past with older motherboards not running newly released video cards.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:45:07 PM

tRad23 said:
That is where I am iffy. My motherboard is a little old so I dont know how a brand new vid card such as the 6850 would work on it. I've had issues in the past with older motherboards not running newly released video cards.

your Mobo is actually quite good. The 890FX chipset on sale today as AMD's premium offering actually is 95% identical with your 790FX. With plenty of PCIe 2.0 slots, it should support at least the next 3 generations of cards flawlessly.

The only thing aging about your Mobo is the SB, With SB600 you lose ACC, which complicates OC somewhat and no core unlocking.
October 16, 2010 5:49:17 PM

Damn! I hate decisions like these! To bad I to go to work now... Thanks for the great advice guys. That deal you posted Timop looks good right now though.
October 16, 2010 5:49:45 PM

Best answer selected by tRad23.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:50:33 PM

Timop said:
Well, heres a great option for $160 that includes a better CPU and a 5750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


Good deal. :) 

Timop is right though. FSX & BFBC2 both are fairly CPU intensive. So having a faster processor, and even a triple/quad core will help you in those two games.

There is one important thing to realize. If you put in a second 5750, I believe the two cards need to run at the same speeds. So you may either need to reset your current card to default speeds, or OC both to indentical speeds to make sure things run as smoothly as possible.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:54:07 PM

Timop said:
It will, remember the 6800s is replacing the 5700s, while the 5800 successors are being renamed into HD5900s.



it's all speculation, no one knows for sure. i've read in some sites that the 6770 will be quite a bit more powerful than the 5850, which would be a more logical thing, and i've also read that the top end 5970 card will be barely better than a single 5870, which doesn't make much sense, just lower power consumption
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 5:59:25 PM

wiinippongamer said:
it's all speculation, no one knows for sure. i've read in some sites that the 6770 will be quite a bit more powerful than the 5850, which would be a more logical thing, and i've also read that the top end 5970 card will be barely better than a single 5870, which doesn't make much sense, just lower power consumption

The fact that real cards, boxes, and a listing with pricing should pretty much confirm that the 6850 is the Barts die. Which replaces the HD5700s.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 16, 2010 6:04:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!