Sign in with
Your question

Comp suddenly turned shitty. Keeps pooping out when playing games now.

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2010 8:57:00 PM

intel core 2 duo e8400 @ 3.8ghz
6gb ram
windows 7 64bit
gtx 280

k so first of all the issue hasnt anything to do with my hardware. my comp (was) good and could run any games i play fine. however, the problem started after i had to force restart my computer 1 too many times cuz it would freeze (was running too intensive stuff in background while also playing games). i believe this was the root of what caused my problem that i have now. so everytime i play any game now.. like sc2.. my comp takes a *** and freezes. its sort of like a blue screen. when playing a game it freezes, then the screen shows all these weird colors, and the sound is like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ non stop. so i have to force restart again. so yeah this is the problem.

does anyone know what i can do to fix this?? thank you (besides buying new hardware lol, hopefully it didnt get damaged by the force restarts)
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2010 9:11:27 PM

Have you tried running prime95?? Sounds hardware related to me, probably video card related. Also, what are your temps? You can get those form speed fan. Both are free at www.download.com
If you post temps it would help us.
If you DL and run prime95 run the torture test and enable logging in options.
Be sure to watch temps for first 10 minutes of the test. Besides being a video card issue it also sort of sounds like heat.
anything OC'd??
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2010 9:15:02 PM

Get memtest and run it for at least 5 passes to make sure your memory is fine
http://www.memtest.org/

Is this reproducible easily? Like every time you load up a graphically intense game it happens or is it random? Try using Prime 95 to check the CPU, and Furmark to check the GPU, then run both at the same time, that will put max load on your PSU and see if its part of the issue.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2010 9:26:42 PM

g048989h said:
Have you tried running prime95?? Sounds hardware related to me, probably video card related. Also, what are your temps? You can get those form speed fan. Both are free at www.download.com
If you post temps it would help us.
If you DL and run prime95 run the torture test and enable logging in options.
Be sure to watch temps for first 10 minutes of the test. Besides being a video card issue it also sort of sounds like heat.
anything OC'd??

for prime95 i ran it for 10 mins my cpu temp got to 50celcius (idle 27celcius)

my cpu is oc from 3ghz to 3.8ghz but thats not the problem
m
l
December 12, 2010 9:28:49 PM

hunter315 said:
Get memtest and run it for at least 5 passes to make sure your memory is fine
http://www.memtest.org/

Is this reproducible easily? Like every time you load up a graphically intense game it happens or is it random? Try using Prime 95 to check the CPU, and Furmark to check the GPU, then run both at the same time, that will put max load on your PSU and see if its part of the issue.

dont know how to install memtest any other easier program as an alternative?

yes it happens all the time. like when i paly sc2 in big battles it freezes. but before this problem happened i could be in big battles and it would run fine
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 1:07:14 AM

Most likely, you've got a failing stick of RAM, or your GPU is dying. Burn the .iso of Memtest to a CD or DVD, run it overnight. Run Furmark for a good hour. Run both P95 and Furmark to test PSU draw.

Just like everyone else said :) 
m
l
!