Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard LAN Adaptor Problem

Last response: in Networking
June 5, 2010 9:05:43 PM

Hello,
I have a ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard. Over the weekend I lost my network connection. I have checked the BIOS settings and the LAN is turned on. When checking the Device Manager no Network Adaptor is listed. NONE !
I have updated the BIOS, No Luck, still no network adaptor for the onboard LAN. Where can I get the LAN Drivers, or how do I get the dang on board LAN to work. Im not PC dumb, actually quite the opposite ! I have installed a PCI Lan card and its works fine, but I paid a lot of money for this MB and I want it to work right. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME ! Thanks

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 6:07:35 AM

mgw828 said:
Hello,
I have a ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard. Over the weekend I lost my network connection. I have checked the BIOS settings and the LAN is turned on. When checking the Device Manager no Network Adaptor is listed. NONE !
I have updated the BIOS, No Luck, still no network adaptor for the onboard LAN. Where can I get the LAN Drivers, or how do I get the dang on board LAN to work. Im not PC dumb, actually quite the opposite ! I have installed a PCI Lan card and its works fine, but I paid a lot of money for this MB and I want it to work right. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME ! Thanks

[#0005ff]If you have the board's instruction manual, have a look to see if there's a simple jumper that turns the ethernet on and off. Are there any signs of light from the onboard NIC when you plug into it?

If you can get it working, the new PCI card needn't be wasted - many new systems are sold with two NICs - one for a WAN and the other for a more secure LAN.
[/#000ff]
June 7, 2010 7:33:16 AM

yes i have the manual, and no this isnt any jumper, only a BIO's setting for the LAN, its either ENABLE or DISABLE and I have it set to ENABLE. There are absolutely no signs of life from the onboard NIC. Hasnt been since it quit working. I have even reloaded the drivers for the LAN and updated everything one can update from ASUS. Still cannot get the adaptor to show up in the device manager either. The PCI Card was new but an extra one that I had since I build systems regularly. There is another LAN port on the MOBO but it is for a Firewire connection. However, Im not familiar with the Firewire at all. Never used one despite installing them in almost every system that I build anymore.
By the way, thanks for your reply.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 8:19:52 AM

mgw828 said:
yes i have the manual, and no this isnt any jumper, only a BIO's setting for the LAN, its either ENABLE or DISABLE and I have it set to ENABLE. There are absolutely no signs of life from the onboard NIC. Hasnt been since it quit working. I have even reloaded the drivers for the LAN and updated everything one can update from ASUS. Still cannot get the adaptor to show up in the device manager either. The PCI Card was new but an extra one that I had since I build systems regularly. There is another LAN port on the MOBO but it is for a Firewire connection. However, Im not familiar with the Firewire at all. Never used one despite installing them in almost every system that I build anymore.
By the way, thanks for your reply.

I hate to say this but it looks like a hardware failure. I hope it doesn't point to a bigger motherboard problem. Any signs of a blown capacitor in there?

m
l
June 18, 2010 12:07:24 AM

Thank you for the link. It wasnt helpful in my case but was able to learn about the IP reset commands for Win 7. In my case, I ended up contacting ASUS Tech support and they issued me an RMA and told me that it was definitely an issue with the board and that they would send me a new one. As a side note, ASUS warranty begins from the date that it shipped out from the factory headed to the retailer or or reseller, not when you actually purchase the product. However, they automatically add 3 months for "shipping & shelf time to the warranty.
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:08:31 AM

Best answer selected by mgw828.
m
l
!