XFX HD Radeon 4890

joerge

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I have a quick question, currently in the case i have my card is averaging around 90 degrees celsius and 55 with no activity, i plan on upgrading to a HAF 922 in the near future but my question is if my card is at any risk running at this temp for about a month, i dont see any performance issues with the heat before mentioned so my assumption is that i will be fine but just thought i should ask.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
i personally consider anything over 80 for a gcard getting dangerously hot with much higher faliure rate. until you get a new case i would try more case fans or try the side pannel off if the case is smaller than the haf 922. with that temperature it will run fine but not for the long run,,the heat will be stressing the pcb.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
anyone with years of gcard experience knows that 90*c is dangerously hot for any gcard. the gpu may be able to handle that temp but the pcb certaintly wont for long periods of time. the pcb swet's and can warp= desolder of the gpu. try to get it bellow 80*c or if not around the low 80's at full load.

notty22

Distinguished
Calm dipankar,
Here is a comment from the launch review of the 5870 last year, where they tested a 4890. Idle temps was 52, and load temps were in the 90's.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/26
Unlike power consumption, load temperatures are all over the place. All of the AMD cards approach 90C, while NVIDIA’s cards are between 92C for an old 8800GT, and a relatively chilly 75C for the GTX 260. As far as the 5870 is concerned, this is solid proof that the half-slot exhaust vent isn’t going to cause any issues with cooling.

The 4870's routinely hit 90c under a normal gaming load if they have the stock reference cooler on and most if not all Nvidia cards have a thermal limit of 105c. The lowest melting point of solder is around 120c and that's for some of the leaded ones, the lead free solders start to melt at around 210c IIRC.

joerge

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
thanks guys this was alot of help, im in the low nineties high 80s so i think for about 3 weeks till i upgrade the case i should be fine, i added an antec fan that sits right on top of the card and redid the thermal paste on the card with arctic silver 5 so i should be fine until new case, thanks again for the input guys appreciate your time.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Now i believe you got your answer that gpu donot melt even if it reaches 90c.

yes, 120 is melting point, 90+ it starts to soften causing micro fractures in the solder joints= glitching or death. its just better to be safe, they give these specs on temperatures but not many cope with stated temps, e.g my 88gt, used to run at exactly 92*c load which caused warping to the pcb, i was lucky enough to change to a 3rd party cooler in time and now it never tops 72*c with fan on low. ebay has many dead single slot 88gt's,,mine wont be one of them.