Sign in with
Your question

GPU Question - Ion, Ion2 and Intel Core I'X' GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2010 9:59:51 PM

Hello

Can any one answer the following:

The following question is based only on motherboards which have a built in GPU.

I understand the only motherboard GPU available are the ION, ION2 and the Intel core CPU with built in GPU - Is there any other motherboard GPU which I have left out?

I understand the Intel core i7 which has a GMA HD GPU is the fastest GPU in the Intel coreI'X' range.

Between the Intel core i7 GMA HD GPU, ION and ION2, which GPU is the fastest?

Would it be the Intel core i7 GMA HD GPU? and by how much? - Is there some kind of benchmark spec available to compare the 3?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

D
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2010 10:15:14 PM

dariusz72 said:
Hello

Can any one answer the following:

The following question is based only on motherboards which have a built in GPU.

I understand the only motherboard GPU available are the ION, ION2 and the Intel core CPU with built in GPU - Is there any other motherboard GPU which I have left out?

I understand the Intel core i7 which has a GMA HD GPU is the fastest GPU in the Intel coreI'X' range.

Between the Intel core i7 GMA HD GPU, ION and ION2, which GPU is the fastest?

Would it be the Intel core i7 GMA HD GPU? and by how much? - Is there some kind of benchmark spec available to compare the 3?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

D

Well, There are the integrated AMD gpu's on there motherboards. :whistle: 

Although back to your question. Last i checked, the core i7's cpu's dont have the gpu's built into them. Unless your talking about the mobile cpu's.

That would be your Dual core i5's (6xx's), Core i3's, and pentium's (g6950) cpus that have the intergrated gpu's (at the moment anyways).

As for which one is faster, i cant explain that one.

For Intel HD graphics this cpu has there fastest gpu.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43553

Although i haven't mess around with nor looked at the ION's much. (although i could easily guess that Ion 2 is faster than Ion ;)  )
m
l
November 28, 2010 9:01:17 PM

Warmon6

Thank you for your reply.

You are right about the current fastest Intel GPU is the Core i5-661 - Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

I noticed that intel are releasing the Sandy Bridge range early next year (Jan), where the GPU is faster again.

I wish there was a way of comparing the speed of the GPU's against other graphic cards / GPU to understand the performance comparisons. :(  - If any one has a www link to a web sites which can do this, please post here.

BTW Has AMD got a CPU with GPU built in similar or more powerful to the i5-661? It would be interested to know at this may be another avenue for me to find a CPU with GPU built in.

D
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2010 9:23:06 PM

Ivy Bridge (Successor of Sandy Bridge) is coming out somewhere around the Q3 of 2011. It is supposed to be double the graphics performance of the Sandy Bridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
Info about Ivy Bridge is somewhere around middle-bottom.
m
l
November 29, 2010 4:22:36 AM

Tigrc,

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that too, but unfortunately the CPU will not be out till some time in the second half of 2011 :{

But I understand Sandy Bridge motherboards released in Jan 2011, Ivy Bridge CPU's maybe compatible on the Sandy Bridge motherboards since the he CPU's will utilise the LGA 1155 socket? Am I correct to assume this?

D
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 5:19:16 AM

No one knows currently.
If Intel uses the same strategy they used on current Core "i" series,then Ivy bridge could require a new socket and won't work with P67 boards(Sandy bridge motherboards)
m
l
November 29, 2010 6:55:25 AM

Maziar said:
No one knows currently.
If Intel uses the same strategy they used on current Core "i" series,then Ivy bridge could require a new socket and won't work with P67 boards(Sandy bridge motherboards)

Hello Maziar,

I found the following quote below from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

"Another major improvement of Ivy Bridge graphics will be the integration of DirectX 11 compatible graphics chip directly into the processor die, rather than the older DirectX 10.1 graphics technology that will be featured in the first batch of Sandy Bridge processors, while retaining its LGA 1155 socket compatibility."

The quote above to me indicated the Sandy Bridge motherboards will be compatible with Ivy Bridge CPU's?

D
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 8:21:33 AM

hmm,I still can't give you an exact answer because neither of these CPUs are out but since Wikipedia is mostly correct, then it may be compatible with socket 1155
m
l
!