Router Connectivity Issue

mnewsome

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Working with a Vista Ultimate Laptop cable connected to a Cisco WRV200 router. Has worked flawlessly for years. I now find that after awakening the laptop from sleep mode I get no connectivity because the IP address is notestablished. I now must restart the machine to get the IP address. I do not believe and have no found any changes to the router settings. Seeking guidance on how to troubleshoot this. Is there any policy script that can preserve the IP address until the router DHCP offers another. Guidance sought.

G

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

mnewsome

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Checked the settings and found that DNS servers were set to numbers I did not recognize. When installing the A/V program "COMODO" I allowed DYNDNS. These numbers were seen in the IPv4 settings. I have seen mixed reviews on these third party DNS. I see no settings for IPv6 and would ask if you know of a reliable DNS server with no exploits I could try for comparison? Also know that the IP settings were automatic. Much thanks for your guidance as I await your reply.

G

for simplicity's sake you could set DNS to automatic so that it will used your ISP's DNS -You need to check the router's DNS setting to ensure that it is working the same way.

If you can find a setting on your computer for IPv6 disable it, I don't think it's in use yet and may cause problems.

TRENDING THREADS