Sign in with
Your question

New build, lots of problems

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2010 11:34:30 PM

Ok so, i built my first homebuilt computer with the help of a friend about 2 months ago and im getting some major problems.

First off within the first week i started to get freezing problems when playing games (maxed on 1600x900). This still continues and the computer sometimes randomly shuts itself off (usually happens about 5 or 6 times a day if left idle). It also happens alot in game, mainly COD:MW2, COD:BO, Metro 2033. My computer will just freeze and i can still press crtl+alt+delete and bring up the task manager and it says that the program has stopped working. Also programs sometimes just stop working randomly, kinda weird.

I thought it might of been a bad install on windows so i went and reinstalled windows and the same problems have persisted.

My friend (who knows alot more about computers than me, i only know the basics really) thinks that its my RAM, which i think i can understand from all the freezing, to be honest im just lost.

Also another problem im having is that recently about a month ago my connection in games has been really unstable. Before i would play my games with a solid 50ms ping with no issues or anything but starting like a month ago (without any change in hardware and this happened before and after i reinstalled windows) i am getting really bad ping spikes where my ping will jump up to like 999+ and stay up there for about 20 seconds then go back down to 60ms. This usually happens about 4 or 5 times every 10 minutes and is quite annoying. As i said i didnt change anything hardware wise that would cause this and it was completly fine before and same as on my xbox, now it does the same thing on my pc and my xbox.

Specs:

PSU: OCZ 700w ModXstream-Pro
GPU: Sapphire HD5830 with 10.10 drivers
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 CL 9-9-9-20 Dual Channel
MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA1156 P55
HD: WD Caviar Black 640GB
CPU: i5 760 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212
Modem: Speedstream 6520

Internet Provider: Bell Aliant

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1068365020.png

More about : build lots problems

a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 12:00:19 AM

Could you post the exact model number of your RAM?

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 1:01:58 AM

RAM isn't on the QVL.

You've got the OCZ3G1333LV4GK (2 x 2GB)

The QVL is for OCZ3G1333LV3GK (3 x 1GB)

Not the same stuff. Could be your culprit.
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:22:20 AM

Sorry whats a QLV? Is it like a list of qualified ram for the mobo?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 1:26:58 AM

Qualified Vendors List

It's basically a list of RAM and other parts that have been certified (by the mobo maker) to work with that mobo.

Always a good idea to consult the QVL prior to purchasing RAM. Even if you get something that *looks* exactly the same (same step, voltage etc) it might still be a bad match.

Could very well be your problems are all related to the RAM having Goldilocks Syndrome ("not QUITE right")

Here you go, for your board, supported CPU & RAM QVL:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DfyAB26HiDpiiu8f&...
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:41:13 AM

thanks alot, im going to look into the list of qualified ram and try some of those. Ive asked about this numorous times on other boards and ive never even thought of that! Thanks.
m
l
December 13, 2010 2:50:16 PM

if both your xbox and pc are having ping stability issues then I would suspect a hardware component in your network. before my first dsl modem died i experienced odd stability issues. once i replaced the dsl modem my ping went back to the stable 100 ms it always was.
m
l
December 13, 2010 6:12:58 PM

Yea that would make sense, ive been using this same modem for about 4 years now so it may be at the end of its life.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 3:32:18 AM

Definitely a Network problem too much of a coincidence to occur on both xbox and pc
m
l
!