Sign in with
Your question

PSU makes high pitch noise

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2010 11:36:12 PM

Brand new computer XFX750 PSU just built the other day and the PSU seems to make a high pitch noise the entire time. The reason I have deduced that its the PSU is because when I turn off the computer, the noise continues to wind down for a bit. Im not sure if this is indicative of a faulty PSU and hoped that someone may help shed light on this or had similar experiences with their PSU.
December 14, 2010 5:55:51 PM

If the noise winds down after you shut off the computer, it could be the fan. However a quick look on newegg.com at the reviews yielded 2 reviewers that listed a whine coming from the PSU. One stated that it only occured during hibernation and the other said that it would continue up to an hour after turning off the computer. I would recommend sending it back to where you purchased it for a replacement.
m
l
December 14, 2010 7:23:10 PM

I thought it was possibly a fan, but when I turn the computer off and unplug it from the wall and have looked at all the fans sitting stationary and still hear it for about a minute after, I knew it had to be coming from somewhere in the PSU. It was purchased through newegg and I have heard they are good about honoring things, so I hope it all goes well because this noise is frustrating.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2010 10:21:25 PM

I hope everything goes well. I have never had a problem with newegg.com either. I'm sure they will treat you right.
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:23:07 AM

krodista said:
I thought it was possibly a fan, but when I turn the computer off and unplug it from the wall and have looked at all the fans sitting stationary and still hear it for about a minute after, I knew it had to be coming from somewhere in the PSU. It was purchased through newegg and I have heard they are good about honoring things, so I hope it all goes well because this noise is frustrating.

Its probably coil whine coming from the PSU. I had it once, and I had the same symptoms as you are getting
m
l
December 22, 2010 11:12:40 AM

a lot of recent reviews are all saying the same thing...that the specific model has a whine. Im not sure if its something that will fade with time or if I should just replace it. Replacing its going to be tough because newegg requires you to send back everything and that packaging was complex to say the least! Im thinking about the idea of getting a refund on it and just purchasing another PSU in the place of the XFX. I hear Antec and Corsair are the other brands that are trusted. Any other brands to consider? Anyone have any model suggestions?

I do like the looks of the XFX and the way they give so many wires of various sizes and such and the overall look, but with that whine, its a bit more than I can take.
m
l
December 22, 2010 5:15:23 PM

I have a Corsair AX1200, and even though it is one (if not the best) power supply out there, it still whined. It happens because the capacitors are new. Give it some time, it can take of up to a month to disappear (if you don't use your computer often). In my case, it took a week and a half. You shouldn't worry about it. Most people don't notice it because the case fans are much louder. The reason you hear it after your PC has shut down is because the capacitors are still charged. It can take 10-20 seconds before they completely discharge; then the whine will stop.
m
l
!