Recomment a Quiet Replacement *FAN* for Phenom II 970 Stock Heatsink

Solution

Yep, that is loud. If I were you, I would make sure all of my 120mm fans were installed and I would replace the CPU HSF (the Zalman would be good).

The problem with the 200mm is only the fan I sent to you will work with that case. Just the way it was designed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. Took a look at Newegg and they have no 70x70 PWM fans. That being said, even if you find a quieter fan, it will run maxed out trying to keep the processor cool (as much as possible). To get better performance (and noise levels) you really do need to go with an aftermarket heatsink/fan (a.k.a. HSF).

If you aren't comfortable removing to mobo to install and want to use the current mounting bracket, you could use a HSF like this one from Zalman:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118044

It will cool way better than what you have now and will be quieter, as well as it will mount to the current bracket.

rhsnipes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
upon removing the side casing of my pc (which holds two fans) the cpu fan got really loud and hot. When I blew air on the cpu it instantly grew quiet. My pc case has room for 2 more 200mm fans. I believe i can make a big noise reduction if I install them.

I have to admit I like that Zalman HSF. I will certainly use that after all else. I prefer the simplest solutions...unless benefit out weighs of coarse.

The cheapest, simplest solution I can think of is more & better fans. I found 70x70 PWM fans (under case fans) on Newegg. Pls have a look at this one and tell me what you think.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119040

Would it fit and possibly decrease noise levels alittle?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

That fan is not PWM capable and will ikely be louder than what you have now. You can add the additional case fans as you indicated and that will help. A side fan, sucking cool air into the case and blowing it into the CPU area will definitely help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yep, that is loud. If I were you, I would make sure all of my 120mm fans were installed and I would replace the CPU HSF (the Zalman would be good).

The problem with the 200mm is only the fan I sent to you will work with that case. Just the way it was designed.

Solution

rhsnipes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I think you're right. I'll just get the zalman HSF and I have one spot available for a 120mm fan in the front. There is talk about a new 200mm fan from nzxt coming out that's quieter n with LEDs but u no rumors...

Thanks so much for ur help today.. U rock

rhsnipes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Sold. Nothing like testimonial to seal the deal. I presume I'll be reaching in the back of my mobo to install a back plate? I'm okay with this. I also bought a Aero Cool 120mm case fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129052

It's gonna be so much fun i'm gettin chills
_chairdance__by_Link3Kokiri.gif

COLGeek

Cybernaut