Sign in with
Your question

Which moniter is best for gamin, LCD or LED?

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2011 7:39:36 PM

Hello

I am wondering which type of moniter is best for gaming, a LCD monitor or a LED monitor?

More about : moniter gamin lcd led

a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2011 7:48:53 PM

An LED monitor is just an LCD monitor with LEDs as backlights instead of flourescent bulbs around the edges of the screen.

Which monitors are you looking at because you cannot compare them simply on backlight style.
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:01:09 AM

hunter315 said:
An LED monitor is just an LCD monitor with LEDs as backlights instead of flourescent bulbs around the edges of the screen.

Which monitors are you looking at because you cannot compare them simply on backlight style.

None inparticular, just want to know so when i start looking I will know if they are good or not.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2011 12:21:27 AM

LED backlit LCD monitors provide isolated backlighting which lets you have a bright area in one part of the screen and not wash out the blacks in the rest of the screen, they give you a bit better picture in that way, but how it performs for gaming is still more dependent upon the matrix's characteristics like response time, i wouldnt have LED vs conventional be the deciding point.
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:38:26 AM

hunter315 said:
LED backlit LCD monitors provide isolated backlighting which lets you have a bright area in one part of the screen and not wash out the blacks in the rest of the screen, they give you a bit better picture in that way, but how it performs for gaming is still more dependent upon the matrix's characteristics like response time, i wouldnt have LED vs conventional be the deciding point.

I want to get a 1920 x1200 or 1920 x1080 monitor with a 2ms refresh time.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2011 12:41:44 AM

I have a 23" 1920 x 1080 LED backlit 2ms Samsung and I have to say the LED backlighting really reduces eyestrain. My older Samsung LCD would give me a headache after a few hours this one does not.
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:49:55 AM

hunter315 said:

That is definitely possible, but I didn't think any did that?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2011 1:49:39 AM

hunter315 said:

Only when using dynamic contrast if the monitor supports local dimming. I'd be very surprised if many LED backlit monitors supported that. Honestly, I've yet to see any LED monitor that looked noticeably superior to a CCFL based monitor, aside from those using RGBLED (quite rare).
m
l
March 10, 2011 1:53:19 AM

cjl said:
Only when using dynamic contrast if the monitor supports local dimming. I'd be very surprised if many LED backlit monitors supported that. Honestly, I've yet to see any LED monitor that looked noticeably superior to a CCFL based monitor, aside from those using RGBLED (quite rare).

So you think that LCDs are still best right now?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2011 2:18:43 AM

LED backlit monitors are LCDs.

(A lot of people fail to notice that)

The choice is between LED and CCFL, and honestly, I wouldn't say that backlight choice makes a lot of difference. Panel type and build quality are much more important.
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:48:45 AM

SO WHICH is the cheapest LED thts availabe today..which has a 2ms response time..?? mayb around 200$
m
l
March 10, 2011 3:34:05 AM

ne other brands..than asus??
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:21:08 AM

sorry to jump this month old thread but I see the question is still not answered while I was about to put in the same question when I found this,

so what I hv got is though the LEDs are thinner, use kind of same technology as LCD , probably will be as cheap as LCDs and use less power,, ... we are still not clear as to which is better for gaming.

am i correct ?

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 21, 2011 11:26:23 AM

LED is just the backlight. All "LED monitors" are edge lit which means the light is emitted from the edge of the monitor instead of directly behind it (full array). This can lead to some light bleeding at the edges. There can also be more light uniformity issues across the monitor, more than compared to traditional LCD monitors with CCFL (florescent) backlight.

LED backlight (also known as WLED) does not always produce white light. Sometimes it can produce slightly "bluish white" because blue LEDs are used with a yellows phosphorous coating to imitate white.

It is the LCD panel itself which actually determines how good a monitor is for games. All current LED backlit LCD monitors in the consumer market use TN panels which are cheap and have fast response times so they are preferred by most gamers. They don't have good viewing angles so colors can shift the more off angle you are from the center of the monitor.
m
l
!