• Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2010 2:00:14 AM

Hey guys, first post on here.....

I'm looking to get this monitor.......

Alienware Optx AW2310

and this graphics card.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What kind of dual link cable will i need? Please look at pictures of both of them first................ (i will be using 3d vision)

More about : cable

a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2010 2:58:23 AM

For the switching I think you;ll have to physically switch cables as I don't think that monitor comes with an input switch. As for the DVI question most monitors use a male to male connection, in your case get a dual-link cable to support 3d's higher refresh rates. Also the link to Dell's site is busted but I could still search for the product on Bing. One more thing you know that the 460 is faster than the 465 right?
m
l
October 17, 2010 3:25:11 AM

it is faster? how so.....?
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2010 3:34:59 AM

djsnipy said:
it is faster? how so.....?

Hahhahahahahaahahahahhahahah

Hahahahahahahahhah :lol: 

Hold on... I'll get you a benchmark...

As you can see the GTX 465 is at 80%

It cost less,

produces less heat,

I belive it takes less power,

faster,

smaller,

quieter.

There is nothing that makes the GTX 465 better unless for some odd reason you want to SLI more then 2 ways... but at that point just go to GTX 470 or GTX 480
*THERE IS NO REASON TO 4 WAY SLI A GTX 480 YOU ONLY GAIN 2 FPS AND EVEN LOOSE FPS IN MOST CASES*
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 17, 2010 4:21:55 AM

That graph is skewed.
First of all, it's performance per dollar, not raw performance. In reality, the 465 is only 5-10% slower than a 1gb 460.
And second of all, a quick check on Newegg shows that since that graph was made, the 465 prices have fallen to be roughly equal or less than the 460, meaning the difference on that graph is negligible. They're probably within 5% of each other at the moment. That doesn't mean it's better though; still takes more power and by connection produces more heat.
m
l
October 17, 2010 4:47:56 AM

jryan388 said:
That graph is skewed.
First of all, it's performance per dollar, not raw performance. In reality, the 465 is only 5-10% slower than a 1gb 460.
And second of all, a quick check on Newegg shows that since that graph was made, the 465 prices have fallen to be roughly equal or less than the 460, meaning the difference on that graph is negligible. They're probably within 5% of each other at the moment. That doesn't mean it's better though; still takes more power and by connection produces more heat.

Ya and the GTX 465 is bigger....

Why go big when you can stay small and it still produces less heat.

Wow...

That didn't sound gay at all.. :ouch: 
m
l
October 17, 2010 12:56:02 PM

mister g said:
For the switching I think you;ll have to physically switch cables as I don't think that monitor comes with an input switch. As for the DVI question most monitors use a male to male connection, in your case get a dual-link cable to support 3d's higher refresh rates. Also the link to Dell's site is busted but I could still search for the product on Bing. One more thing you know that the 460 is faster than the 465 right?

dvi-i dual link
or
dvi-d dual link?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2010 2:41:59 PM

Either, DVI-I is a port that is compatible with DVI-D that includes an extra pin for analog dignals(DVI-VGA converters). For you you'll only need DVI-D.
m
l
!