• New Build
  • Cases
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2010 4:35:49 AM

Quick question.

First time doing my own computer. I went to fry's and used newegg for the parts following an outline of someones build and doing a couple things different.

My problem is the case and the motherboard. I hooked everything up but theres no power connector from the motherboard to the power to the front of the case. Instructions for the case specifically say hook it up to the motherboard (not that it matters because you cant connect that directly to the power supply.)

Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The guy at frys actually picked out the case because i didnt have one and didnt know which to pick. The instructions on the case say compatabile motherboards are standard ATX and m-ATX motherboards.

My motherboard says ATX Intel Motherboard.

Can anyone help? If this is compatable, fantastic but the wires connecting the power button in the front along with the "LED" lights have no where to plug into on this board. Thanks in advance and advise is welcome or suggestions of a case thats compatable!

More about : compatable board case

a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 4:52:30 AM

Do you mean the front panel USB, Audio, and Power/HDD LED indicators? According to the newegg image, all of the connectors are there as far as I can see. Check your motherboard manual for the proper wiring. It should all be there in great detail. The wires coming from your case should also be labeled (like "Power LED +", "Power LED -", "FP_AUDIO", "Power SW", "Reset SW", etc).

Side note: don't plug the USB header into the 1394 header. They may have the same pinouts, but they are incompatible and you run the risk of damaging the front panel USB connectors, the motherboard, or both.

EDIT: The Power LED, HDD LED, Power Switch, and Reset Switch connectors actually connect to that long white port at the bottom of the motherboard. It's the port with the multi-colored labels (according to newegg). Again, check your motherboard manual for the proper wiring.
m
l
December 13, 2010 4:59:12 AM

That is exactly what i am talking about. I saw the multi colored port there and the manual didnt even mention it. The manual doesnt mention where to plug in the HD audio as well. The instructions are pretty wacky. The USB has a port that says on it "USB 1" so that one isnt the problem. Its just all those lights, and power and what not. I will try and set it back up and see if it can be plugged in correctly and re advise. Thank you for the help.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 5:03:49 AM

Are you sure the motherboard manual doesn't mention it? It should be under "Motherboard Front Panel Connector" or something similar. Anyway, here's an image of the mobo FP connector diagram. I'm pretty sure it's generic and standard, so just have a look and see if the color coding on your motherboard is similar.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qaA-pPP65UI/S7TslzmdXzI/AAAAA...
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:36:48 PM

gracefully said:
Are you sure the motherboard manual doesn't mention it? It should be under "Motherboard Front Panel Connector" or something similar. Anyway, here's an image of the mobo FP connector diagram. I'm pretty sure it's generic and standard, so just have a look and see if the color coding on your motherboard is similar.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qaA-pPP65UI/S7TslzmdXzI/AAAAA...

I'm currently installing an Asus P7H55, probably a rather different board, and the layout of the pins seems to be the same as in what gracefully linked. I haven't built very many systems, but my feeling is that this has been the same for 10+ years if not 20+ years because the same functions have always been there in the PC. It's called "System panel connector (20-8 pin PANEL)" in my manual.

Actually looking at the picture OP linked, the pins look a bit funny and different from the ATX mobos we're used to. Does mATX follow different conventions? I'd advise to ask on Gigabyte's forums or contacting their support directly to confirm what is what.

I think there is no compatibility issue, you just need better documentation.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 6:59:17 AM

I wasn't expecting this from Gigabyte. Now we can't tell anyone who owns that motherboard to RTFM.
m
l