Nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered GeForce GT 220

Hello,
I have Getaway dx4831 Intel i5 with 8GB Ram, 1 TB HD, and 1GB nvidia geforce gt 220 video card.
for a few days, about a few times a day I'm getting error message: "nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered GeForce GT 220". I have windows 7.
But today, my screen went black and my 23" viewsonic monitor says: "No signal" and light went from blue to orange. So, I had to hard boot my PC.
Did anyone experience similar problem before? and how you guys fixed it?
Thank you

Alek
28 answers Last reply
More about nvidia driver stopped responding recovered geforce
  1. Did you have the latest drivers? If yes try rolling back to previous ones.
  2. i dont know, i do regularly updates for windows.
    maybe i need to buy a new video card? if so, what website do i use to figure out which one will work for my PC? something like auto detection, i want to get the best video card. thanks
  3. and, i dont want to buy any software to check for my drivers
  4. What driver version are you using?
  5. I get this with my 5850 once and a blue moon as well. i think it's a Windows thing myself
  6. i have: driver version 8.17.12.5896
    driver date: 07/06/2010
    driver provider: NVIDIA
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
  7. Try the latest one then, it's the 260.99 one and is on the Nvidia site.
  8. done, download, will see.
    it usually happens after 1 hour of watching movie... before i was able to watch for like 5 hours straight, but now, only for 1 hour, then my monitor turns off, and i have to hard boot PC and wait for about 1 minute before turning PC on, otherwise, it would turn off monitor again when windows loading, at windows logo :(
  9. Could it be a heat ussue then? Use a can of compressed sir and clear out dust in the GPU fan.
  10. nah, i don't think so.
    by the way, my monitor just went off again yesterday, after 20 minutes of watching movie :( i guess latest driver didn't help.
    so.... whats the website where it automatically detects which video card/memory/hd/etc our PC has? i forgot it

thanks
  11. Not sure about website but look up SIW(system information) by George Tepola
  12. just bought for $81 tax included same video card i have
    i had DDR2 and new one DDR3 which is almost the same, run movie for 1.5 hours and no problems. i guess it was video card problem...
  13. run movies overnight for about 10 hours straight, still no problems...
  14. DDR3 and DDR2 shouldn't be much of a differentiating factor, but good for you, what GPU did you get?
  15. i dont know what GPU, but this is the card: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1121/1/

so far no problems
  16. actually with DDR3 I have 5.9 rating for Windows Experience Index and with DDR2 I had 5.7

for Graphics before I had 5.7 now 6.4
    for Gaming Graphics before I had 6.3 now 6.4

but not sure why, I still can't play GTA 4 even though their requirements 512MB for graphic card, and I have 1GB...
  17. alekyoo said:
    actually with DDR3 I have 5.9 rating for Windows Experience Index and with DDR2 I had 5.7

for Graphics before I had 5.7 now 6.4
    for Gaming Graphics before I had 6.3 now 6.4

but not sure why, I still can't play GTA 4 even though their requirements 512MB for graphic card, and I have 1GB...

The GT220 is a low end card and would never make use of a gig of RAM, it's just a marketing trick that is as old as the hills but still works.
  18. Define can't play. Based on the system requirements the card whould be able to play the game as all the game requires is a old 7900 or 8600. Based on those specs I'm pretty sure even my 9400 can run the game on lower detail, your 220 is at least 4 times more powerful than my card.
  19. mister g said:
    Define can't play. Based on the system requirements the card whould be able to play the game as all the game requires is a old 7900 or 8600. Based on those specs I'm pretty sure even my 9400 can run the game on lower detail, your 220 is at least 4 times more powerful than my card.

No it isn't, a GT220 is about the same as a 9500GT.
  20. Which is still better than a 8600GT right?
  21. mister g said:
    Which is still better than a 8600GT right?

It's about the same actually, check the hierarchy chart if you don't believe me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html
  22. GTA 4's recommended specs include the 8600GT, I don't see a reason why the OP shouldn't be able to run the game seeing as he also has an i5 and 8GBs of RAM.
  23. mister g said:
    GTA 4's recommended specs include the 8600GT, I don't see a reason why the OP shouldn't be able to run the game seeing as he also has an i5 and 8GBs of RAM.

I never said the game wouldn't run, just that a GT220 won't use a gig of RAM and that it's not four times the power of an 8600GT or 7900GT.
  24. My bad on that statement and I agree that that card will never utilize that 1GB effectively, yet manufacterers still do it, especially on the low profile 5570s' I see on Newegg and Tigerdirect. Still I find it confusing how GTA IV would recommend a new middle end GPU over a high end from the last generation.
  25. guys, i can't play this game, i would run - yes, but because of blurry graphics and unclear picture makes impossible to play :(
  26. and i have 300watts power supply and in order for me to upgrade video card i need also upgrade power supply
  27. true, but for 300watt people at Fry's told me that GT220 is the highest video card I can get, I can't even get GT330 one :(
  28. Either reinstall game or set the game to native resolution and lower all the quality bars to absolute minimum.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Geforce Graphics