upaco

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi!

I am about to buy a new computer, haven't checked very much on the hardware the latest year(s) so I asked a friend what he would recommend. We came up with a wish list, now I have some questions and I release I need to learn more.
Hopefully you can help out.

1. I am thinking about getting a ssd harddisc card as primary boot/system disc
OCZ REVO DRIVE PCI-EXPRESS 4X SSD 120GB (manufacturer serial OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120),
will I be able to use it (boot) with the motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58A-UD7 X58 S-1366 ATX (manufacturer serial GA-X58A-UD7) ?

2. The ram CORSAIR 12GB DDR3 XMS3 VENGEANCE PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (manufacturer serial CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 is running on 1600MHz and the motherboard supports 800 MHz, 1066 MHz, 1333 MHz, 2200 MHz, will it be any problems, should I pick other ram?

Cheeers

1.) "Before installing the RevoDrive it is important to check the settings/capabilities on your motherboard. If you plan on using the RevoDrive as a boot drive please check that your motherboard supports boot over PCI-E. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for the latest platform information and BIOS updates. If you have any installation or compatibility questions about the RevoDrive, please visit our forums... blah blah". I couldn't find this specific spec on that MB.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive/ocz-revodrive-pci-express-ssd-.html

2.) It DDR3 1600 will probably be fine in that MB. Consider opting up for CL7 if you are already committed to spending that much money. Going with higher latency memory with what seems to be a fast system doesn't make a lot of sense.

That is a pretty expensive board... and boot drive. If you haven't already purchased the parts, can you post the friends recommendations?

upaco

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi and thank you.
I haven't bought anything yet, got some more ? before I am satisfied.
I do game alot but my main consern is that is should be a silent computer.

MB - GIGABYTE GA-EX58A-UD7 X58 S-1366 ATX
Powersupply - CORSAIR TX 750W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V
Ram - CORSAIR 12GB DDR3 XMS3 VENGEANCE PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (3X4GB)
Cpu - INTEL CORE I7 950 3.06GHZ 8MB S-1366
Cpu cooler - CORSAIR H70 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-775/1156/1366/AM2+/AM3
Fan - 2 NOCTUA NF-P12-1300 SILENT CASE FAN 120MM
Graphic card - XFX RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP
Harddisk - OCZ REVO DRIVE PCI-EXPRESS 4X SSD 120GB
Cace - Antec P193

upaco

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

I got in contact with gigabytes support and asked about this, and got a fast and happy reply.
'Yes, this will work. The GA-X58A-UD7 supports this feature.'

Think I am missing something here, is the CL7 version better for that MB? I can't seem to find that memory.

Got a third question also. Just want to make double sure.
3.) The power supply has ATX12V v2.2 (24-pin + 4-pin), EPS12V (24-pin + 8-pin)
and the MB supports ATX12V (24-pin + 8-pin)
Found this about EPS12V

EPS12V
EPS12V is defined in SSI, and used primarily by SMP/multi-core systems such as Core 2, Core i7, Opteron and Xeon. It has a 24-pin main connector (same as ATX12V v2.x), an 8-pin secondary connector, and an optional 4-pin tertiary connector. To ensure backwards compatibility with ATX12V, many power supply makers implement the 8-pin connector as two combinable 4-pin connectors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

So in short it is no problem?

Well here's a question for you, what on earth will you be doing that will require you to go to the expense of buying an Intel Core i7 9xx CPU? If you're building a gaming machine, you're literally pissing money down the toilet. The best Intel CPU, the i7-980X only shows, at most, 1+1/3 of the Phenom II x6 1090T's performance despite being 4+1/3 of the price. That's right, to get that little extra 33% increase, you're going to pay over 4x the price. The question you must ask yourself is this: Do you want that tiny boost for that much money? Remember, that's the i7-980X, the other i7's, while better values that the 980X for sure, are still bad values compared to AMD's offerings. :sol:

Here's Tom's review and CPU comparisons:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613-7.html
Keep in mind that benchmarks exaggerate real-world performance differences. Just like your passenger-side rear-view mirror, the two CPUs are actually closer than they appear.

That's great, but if you looked at his parts list, you would have noticed the i7-950, not the i7-980X. While you can argue price vs. performance, the i7-950's absolute performance is greater than the 1090T's absolute performance.

Triple channel memory is also something I have yet to see on an AMD chipset.

I love my i7-930, and wouldn't even think about trading it for an AMD 6-core.

upaco

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
almost done, just some minor stuff left.

The ssd card is a pci e -4, and the MB has 2 pci-e 1 and 2 pci-e 16.
And if I am not completely wrong pci-e 4 is just another name for one of 'em so it should work fine?

I am thinking about buying the graphic card XFX RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP, but thats just cause it comes recommended. In my experience the video card fan is one of the more noisy parts.
Is there a more silent card that you would recommend?

Thank you all who has contributed, I appreciate it.

The number after the 'x' just tells you how many bandwidth 'pathways' the device uses and that the PCI-Express slot uses.

However, there is a physical difference in the shapes of the PCI-E slots. You can put the x4 card in one of the x16 slots, but not in the x1 slots because it won't fit and doesn't have enough bandwidth (it requires 4 pathways as opposed to 1).

141084.gif

I am thinking about buying the graphic card XFX RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP, but thats just cause it comes recommended. In my experience the video card fan is one of the more noisy parts.
Is there a more silent card that you would recommend?

How much do you intend to spend on your GPU? The AMD 6970/6950s came out and offer similar performance to the GTX 580/570 for ~$150 less (they are $369/$299 respectively, vs. $500/$350 respectively). I would consider bumping up to one of those.

If you're tight on money, you could easily go down to 6GB RAM and not see a huge difference in performance; for gaming, you'll never use all 6GB (I only bought 3GB extra for computational programs I run). Something like this set will run well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

upaco

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Thank you for the reply.

I think I'm going to stick with the 12 GB ram, starting to learn more about virtual pc (for work) and at some point I will prob. test it out at home also. Will be good to have some extra ram to play around with then.

Any graphic card of todays date will easy beat the thing I have today, so I am not that worried about performance.
What I am most intressted in is getting a silent or at least not a graphic card that does more noice than any of the others.

The one I have today makes so much noice my wife almost kicks me out. ;)