Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help choosing to upgrade or not

Last response: in Components
March 10, 2011 12:09:21 AM

I currently have a gaming computer that is starting to go out of date. Here are my specs:

Case: NXZT Tempest EVO
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620
CPU Cooler: Asetek LC Cooler
RAM: 6 GB 800Mhz DDR2
GPU: Palit GTS 250
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M
PSU: XION Super Nova 700W (I know it is not a good brand)
HDD: a) Hitachi 320GB
b) WD 1TB

This computer is from IBuypower

What I would like to know is it worth it to upgrade this computer or buy a new one. I was going to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard, RAM (to DDR3), GPU, and PSU. Should I just buy a brand new one. If I was to buy a new one I was wondering if Digital Storm would be good choice. If I did upgrade or buy a brand new one what should I be looking to get. I would like to get something to run beyond Crysis 2. Note I am still having trouble running Crysis with my current build. I have not figured out a price range but I am open for ideas. Thanks and I hope someone can help.

More about : choosing upgrade

Best solution

March 10, 2011 12:50:35 AM

1) I would look to upgrade your PSU & GPU, first and foremost. The GTS 250 is no gaming card! I won't run anything less than a GTX 460 for a gaming setup... IMO.

2) Going with upgrade to CPU, MOBO, RAM... etc won't be wise. You would be better off buying (or building) new. The AII X4 640 isn't a bad gaming CPU & for gaming you won't see a major difference between DDR2 & DDR3 performance wise.

March 10, 2011 9:01:25 PM

tecmo34 said:
1) I would look to upgrade your PSU & GPU, first and foremost. The GTS 250 is no gaming card! I won't run anything less than a GTX 460 for a gaming setup... IMO.

2) Going with upgrade to CPU, MOBO, RAM... etc won't be wise. You would be better off buying (or building) new. The AII X4 640 isn't a bad gaming CPU & for gaming you won't see a major difference between DDR2 & DDR3 performance wise.

What would you suggest for a PSU and a GPU. I was told my CPU would bottleneck anything above a 460, so do I get a new one or oc this one.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2011 9:53:23 PM

get a GTX460 1GB model and save the PSU money for your next build.
m
l
March 12, 2011 12:00:55 AM

Best answer selected by bartsarzy.
m
l
!