Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Plain good router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 31, 2010 10:34:31 PM

Hello,
I searched this site and could not find any answer that was more recent than 2006. Since this is 2010, many changes in electronics have taken place. I keep reading reviews of how great Linksys, Netgear, Belkin USED to be. Now I cannot find any router that gets consistent reviews.

I have spent way too long reading recommendations of the highest rated routers from PC magazines, etc. I then check Amazon and read customer comments. As many give a router five stars rating as for one star. For every router I read about, not one was consistent.

The other issue is that since I do not even know enough about routers to understand the language, how do I find a good plain router? I just need to connect my laptop to my computer so that I can use the computer in another room. I do not game, I do not need to share printers, and I just need something to give me reliable wireless that does not cost a fortune. I have a cable modem, so I do not need USB. Right now, I have a Netgear WGR614 v6, but it seems to have given up and the laptop does not recognize any wireless, even sitting beside my desktop.

Thanks for any help someone can offer.

More about : plain good router

August 31, 2010 11:05:32 PM

P.S. I have Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista Home Premium and my laptop is Lenovo SL510 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

In all of my investigating, I discovered it makes a difference.

Thanks again.
m
l

Best solution

September 17, 2010 7:15:41 PM

hi before you proceed on this there are two things i could suggest you to check..first the wifi capability in your laptop is enabled and functioning properly..if you are able to see and connect to any other wireless like office or friend's place that gives a green...second in your wireless router...check if the wireless light is on(steady or fluctuating doesn't matter)...login to your router's GUI from the computer hardwired to the router and check under Advanced > Wireless Settings that the options ENable SSID Broadcast and Enable Wireless Radio are both checked...and in the wireless settings for wireless network channel try 1,6 or 11 and try searching and connecting to the wireless....if none of this works you could go for a new one...the WGR614v9 was a classic...but since v10 i dunno if its still in production...lot depends on your luck since there are some inconsistencies among products of same model...take a leap of faith...all the best
Related resources
September 27, 2010 12:25:40 AM

Best answer selected by ladylee.
m
l
September 27, 2010 12:28:41 AM

optimusprime619 said:
hi before you proceed on this there are two things i could suggest you to check..first the wifi capability in your laptop is enabled and functioning properly..if you are able to see and connect to any other wireless like office or friend's place that gives a green...second in your wireless router...check if the wireless light is on(steady or fluctuating doesn't matter)...login to your router's GUI from the computer hardwired to the router and check under Advanced > Wireless Settings that the options ENable SSID Broadcast and Enable Wireless Radio are both checked...and in the wireless settings for wireless network channel try 1,6 or 11 and try searching and connecting to the wireless....if none of this works you could go for a new one...the WGR614v9 was a classic...but since v10 i dunno if its still in production...lot depends on your luck since there are some inconsistencies among products of same model...take a leap of faith...all the best

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate your time and explanation.

Best to you
m
l
!