Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HP Compaq dc5800 SFF to a full tower case?

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2010 3:55:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently got a secondhand HP Compaq dc5800 (specs here). I intend to use it mostly for internet surfing and 3D modeling and animation, but the very slim case does not allow me to put a couple more HDDs (even when the mobo has 4 SATA ports) and finding a low profile video card in my country is not the easiest thing to do :(  also, the PSU is only 240w, not enough to run a high-end GPU. This leads me to wonder if it would be possible to rip apart the PC, get everything out and install it in a huge aftermarket full tower case. By the way, the mobo is in BTX form factor, which complicates the situation a bit more. Here's a link where you can check out the mobo's layout. Hope you can point me in the right direction here. Thanks in advance for your attention and assistance.

PS: I also wonder if, in the case I cannot set the mobo and all the stuff in a bigger case, I could set-up a couple of hard drives with a separate PSU and hook the data cables to the mobo, whilst the power comes from the "external" PSU. Kinda a home made "enclosure"

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2010 5:28:46 PM

Hmm another alternative if u merely want more storage is simply hit a single 2TB Samsung F4? A BTX mobo and finding a compatible case is gonna be hairy LOL
December 22, 2010 10:14:12 AM

I believe I'm gonna end up doing it. But I like a dual HDD setup more because I usually dual boot linux and windows and this allows me to have more control over the content I have. I've been thinking about the possibility of modifying a regular tower case so the mobo fits in there. I might have the creativity, but I don't have the tools or skills :p 
m
l
January 4, 2011 1:31:17 PM

Best answer selected by DarwinC.
m
l
!