Need a new card, REALLY cash starved.

MeowMix

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Okay I was using This 8800 GTS before it decided to start causing me to BSOD even while just on the desk top and I cant return it to EVGA because the store I bought it from (PC Club in California) is no longer around. So its time to get back on the market.

I'll try to make this blunt to save you time...

I Have $240, I CAN NOT spend that much, that $240 is ALL I have for a while I don't know when I'll get ahold of some more cash, so I'm trying to stay below 100-110 (shipped).can go a little higher if it puts me in the price range of something of better quality.

a buddy of mine told me not to bother going with any card that has a less than 256 bus (which really hurts my price ranges options). If you know that going for a 128 card is fine then please by all means ill hear you out and take a look, because I only know enough about GPU's to get by as a pretty active gamer.

My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W (modular)

My CPU bottle necks me as its a core 2 duo e6300

I run dual monitors, the one is a wide screen (oldish, scratched haha) HP that when I first started using it wanted to use 1440 x 900 so i didn't argue with it so I have become used to that. My second monitor is just an old 17" crt that i run at 1024 x 768

-

Also who should I avoid as a manufacture? I am hesitant to go with names i don't know, doesn't mean i wont i just would really like to know. like ASUS, HIS, Sparkle, Elitegroup, Zotac, Gigabyte (i just want to know who to avoid or whos good, in case of a defective card)

-

So far I was looking at GIGABYTE GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit I'm just really scared of it because of a lack of ANY fan, im thinking i might be able to cool it with what i have at my disposal tho.

as for the case I use, its full ATX so i think just about any card should fit, and worst case is i set a box fan up next to the side haha (which i am doing to use my friends GTX 280 which has a heat issue and needs to be RMA'd again i guess.)

-

I hope someone can lend a hand in this, I have never had to go this low ball and still want to be able to play everything that comes out and make it not look like the 90's all over again.

Also i dont mind using a site other than newegg, i just want to use someone who wont screw me if i am the lucky recipient of a DOA card.

Thanks for any help and i really hope it didnt post so late i get no eyes :heink:

Seriously, for 1024x768 or 1440x900 resolution then a single GTS250 or HD4850 is more than enough to maxed out most of games with that card. Also you have enough power on your PSU, so power wouldn't be a problem.

Note that IF you can OC your E6300 a little bit then you will gain MUCH performance increase. I have E6300 too and i can OC it from 1.8GHz to 2.7GHz WITHOUT raising the VCore.

Bottleneck? at your current speed yes, but like i said above, IF you can OC it then your cpu will no longer hold back the other components...

I use Zigmatek HDT S1283.

I'm planned to get CoolerMster Hyper 212+, but it's very rare in my country, so if you can get that cooler i'm pretty sure that CM Hyper is better than my Zigmatek.

Also what is your room temp? For comparison, my ambient temp is 27'C, so my OCed E6300 sit at 42'C idle and 45'C full load, pretty cool temps... :)

MeowMix

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I apologize for this 'bumb' but i would like to get some eyes on this at a time when people are actually awake.

also i'd like to add, is newegg the best site out there, or is there somewhere that can compete?

Bumping is unacceptable regardless of apologising for it, so don't do it again or the thread will be closed.

MeowMix

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

I no longer have the receipt, i bought it a back in '08 or '07 and they want you to have the "original receipt" regardless if you registered. I thought the same i registered it the same day or next day i bought it, it really bummed me out.

Timop

Distinguished

You can try and say it was received as a gift.