Sign in with
Your question

Ipconfig/release and renew Wont Change IP!! Plz Help

Last response: in Networking
June 5, 2010 11:03:34 PM

:hello:  Hi Guys,
I just Joined The community in Hopes That I might Get Help!!
I need To change my Ip Using "Ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew" through Cmd prompt!!
Now before u tell me to Switch oFf and Switch On my Modem, i have to say that sWitch off and On Methos Works perfectly Fine for me!! my Ip changes every time i do it!!
But the Problem is switching On my modem back again takes About ten minutes Solid untill all the lights Are On.... and it really gets on my nerves everytime i have to Do it!!!

So i want to Use this ipconfig/release renew feature...
i have been through many help forums over the Internet regarding this and tried The following---

* I have Changed/spoofed/cloned My Mac Address Successfully!both through My OS (Xp Sp2) and through Router Configuration.

*I Have Set Lan Connection Properties to Automaticlly Detet Settings
*I Have Set Tcp/Ip propeties to automatically Obtain Ip address and Dns server address

Router Settings:
*ISP is Set to PPPoA/PPPoE
*DHCP is Enabled
*Router Firewall is Disabled BUt Normall Windows Firewall is ON!!
*Ip address is Set - Dynamic IP
*NAT is Enabled
*Connection is Set to "Always On" (not Connection on demand or manual)
*In NAT sessions "Single IP" is Set (i donot know what that Is) the another Option given is Multiple Ip
*ACL is activated ( i have no knowledge Of that Either!! but Wiki says "Access Control Listing")

Things I havent Done -

*Disable NAT - Some forums Suggested I Do it but Some other forums claimed it is Dangerous and it would open up connection Completely , make it vulnerale for attacks!!

*Run the "Windowsfixit.Exe" program .... My friends told me to run the program but as per certain forums it is Useless if if could already get a Dynamic Ip change through Swtich off and Switch ON!! :pfff: 

My Ipconfig diisplays an Ip Starting With 192.168.1... which I presume is the Internal Ip of my Computer that would mean the External Ip Assigned is Taken up by the Router!!

Now one of The forums Gave Instructions that unless i Could get my system to get that External Ip to my Computer and Not the Router..
release and renew method would keep Failing!!
I Donot Know if this is true or to get external Ip to my comp (if It is True)!! :sweat: 

I have been trying to make "release and renew" method to Work for about Three Months but to no avail....!! :fou: 
Hopefully if u guys could help me achieve it!! :( 

Thank u in advance!! :whistle: 

Note--
I use avast antivirus and malwarebytes antimalware as a supplemantary!!
Avast Doesn block any sites or Connection but it does run a Script Virus scan before Connecting to any site even if it is Google!!( if it should be a matter of Consideration)...
I only use Malwarebytes Antimalware Occasionally!!
June 6, 2010 6:02:13 AM

111013,1,649900 said:
I need To change my Ip Using "Ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew" through Cmd prompt!!

[#0005ff]Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware. Hopefuly without appearing patronising, may I just get one simple possibility out of the way first? The command has to have a space before the switch so without a space in front of the oblique stroke - slash in modern parlance - you're going nowhere.

Hit Windows key and R then type in cmd /k /ipconfig /release and hit Enter. In the Command form you should see a clean prompt so then type ipconfiig /renew and await the confirmation. It's always best then to restart the computer. Sorry if it isn't this simple.
[/#000ff]
m
l
June 6, 2010 7:56:40 AM

Dudelet said:
<snip>
*I Have Set Tcp/Ip propeties to automatically Obtain Ip address and Dns server address

Here is a problem. Every time you do the Ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew, the router will hand you back the same IP number every time. You may very well have renewed, but were issued the same IP number. Look at the lease time before and after the renew to see if you are getting a true "renew." You could go into the router's DHCP start address range and change it to a higher number then do the renew and see it you received a new higher number, which would be the start number you specified.

Router Settings:
*ISP is Set to PPPoA/PPPoE
*DHCP is Enabled
*Router Firewall is Disabled BUt Normall Windows Firewall is ON!!
*Ip address is Set - Dynamic IP
*NAT is Enabled
*Connection is Set to "Always On" (not Connection on demand or manual)
*In NAT sessions "Single IP" is Set (i donot know what that Is) the another Option given is Multiple Ip
*ACL is activated ( i have no knowledge Of that Either!! but Wiki says "Access Control Listing")

Things I havent Done -

<snip>

My Ipconfig diisplays an Ip Starting With 192.168.1... which I presume is the Internal Ip of my Computer that would mean the External Ip Assigned is Taken up by the Router!!
Here's the place to make a change and see if it shows up after doing a renew.

Now one of The forums Gave Instructions that unless i Could get my system to get that External Ip to my Computer and Not the Router..
release and renew method would keep Failing!!
I Donot Know if this is true or to get external Ip to my comp (if It is True)!! :sweat: 
Not true. You will never get your outside IP address passed to your computer by the router (a collision of duplicate gateway addresses would result unless your router supplies a pass-through, non-routed port (Very rare)).

I have been trying to make "release and renew" method to Work for about Three Months but to no avail....!! :fou: 
Hopefully if u guys could help me achieve it!! :( 
I think it has been working (my opinion) but router hands back starting IP address as it was told to do, giving you the feeling something isn't working.

Thank u in advance!! :whistle: 

Note--
I use avast antivirus and malwarebytes antimalware as a supplemantary!!
Avast Doesn block any sites or Connection but it does run a Script Virus scan before Connecting to any site even if it is Google!!( if it should be a matter of Consideration)...
I only use Malwarebytes Antimalware Occasionally!!

m
l
!