A question about Graphics cards

9000cse

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi, I have a G41 ASROCK motherboard. 4 gig of RAM CPU E6500.
Onboard Graphic, Intel G41 express chipset, 1024Mb, GMA 4500.
Now the problem. On startup, most of the time I get a blank screen, pressing the reset button a few times and all is well. System boots. I'm thinking, either I have the graphics card setup wrong, or there is a problem with the graphic card. Monitor switch light flickers green.
The only game I play on this is rFactor. However my son, who somethims uses it does play some weard games.
I'm looking for an express graphics card that will not break my limited budget.
Can anybody advice which to o for?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Allready have the system. BUDGET RANGE: N/A

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing rFactor and a few games my son plays on line
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: E6500, Intel G41 express chipset, 1024Mb, GMA 4500, PS is 450W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: G41 ASRock, E6500, 4Gig Ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Open to offers

PARTS PREFERENCES: Open to offers
OVERCLOCKING: Yes Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900,
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: AS long as it works and does what it says on the box.
Thanks for reading
Andy

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you're playing a racing game like that you really won't need too much power. Add-in graphics cards are divided by two brands. Nvidia's Geforce and AMD's Radeon lines. Not sure what motherboard you have as ASRock sells a lot of boards based on the G41 chipset. Again for that game I don't think you'll need SLI as those are usually reserved for mid-range and higher cards. Here's a card I think you'll want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150469

9000cse

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi Mister g, thanks for getting back to me.
Just looked at the link you sent, very good price, so will dig out one.

The Motherboard I have is an ASRock G41M-S, the spec:-
1. LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Quad / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® Dual Core / Celeron® Dual Core / Celeron®, supporting Penryn Quad Core Yorkfield and Dual Core Wolfdale processors
2. Intel® G41 + ICH7 Chipsets
3. Supports FSB1333/1066/800/533 MHz
4. Supports Dual Channel DDR2 1066/800/667/533, 2 x DIMM slots, Max. capacity up to 8GB

* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500, Pixel Shader 4.0, DirectX 10, Max. shared memory 1759MB
* 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
* 10/100 Ethernet
* 4 x SATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors
* Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash
* Supports Smart BIOS, ASRock OC Tuner, Intelligent Energy Saver
* 5.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
* EuP Ready
* Windows® Vista™ Premium 2008 Logo Ready
* I/O Panel: 1 x Serial Port: COM1, 1 x VGA Port, 4 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports, 1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED

Can be found here http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G41M-S

So, do you think that the link you gave me, is a match for the on board graphics card?
Also, do you think that it is the OBGC that is at fault? re...On startup, most of the time I get a blank screen, pressing the reset button a few times and all is well. System boots. I'm thinking, either I have the graphics card setup wrong, or there is a problem with the graphic card. Monitor switch light flickers green.

Cheers
Andy

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Any dedicated GPU (meaning anything but onboard) will preform better.

That card linked is not a very demanding gaming card at all, but will preform ALOT better than the dedicated On-Board graphics.

Your budget limit? What is this?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The nthat car should do, I think it's even lower than 50 euros. As to the problem you mentioned above since you have an IGP than video problems won't affect anything since the motherboard instantly detects that you don't have an add-in card. What I think could be the power suply if it won't start right. Tell me your system specs.