Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Worth getting an eyefinity 6 5870 card ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2010 3:18:28 PM

Hey folks, after looking at the six screen set up and to be honest i dont want a series of debates between nvidia or ATI. all i want to know if its worth gaming over 6 screens and is the ATI card good enough as they're releasing a new range of cards probly by next year for both Nvidia and ATI.

I've always wanted multiple displays and I plan on doing so except i'm not sure if i should be getting SLI, or just this single ATI 5870 card.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 17, 2010 3:25:35 PM

An SLi setup wuold give you more power to run multiple screens, however you would be limited to only being able to run three.
Score
October 17, 2010 3:33:57 PM

wait isnt it maximum of two cards with double sli? i currently have a 275gtx and i plan on getting 2X 460GTX's in sli and run the 275 as a physX card. so then i could have 3 monitors.

and if so can i run it in the same form as the eyefinity card? where the resolution is like 5000 something by 1080p ? like 3 screens across for games like dirt 2 etc?
Score
Related resources
October 17, 2010 3:34:19 PM

using 6 screens you'd have to lower the settings alot for a single 5870.

if your motherboard support crossfire i'd say 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if it only support sli a couple gtx 460s 1gb will do.

you could also wait till the end of the year and see how the 6000s penform, which will also drop prices on current cards
Score
October 17, 2010 3:37:37 PM

so you're saying wait for the 6000 series cards to come out and what about monitors as well? there arent any monitors with like ultra slim bezels to break the big gaps
Score
October 17, 2010 3:43:03 PM

is that your set up there? if thats the case thats awesome. btw what monitors you using ?
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 17, 2010 3:58:15 PM

kr91 said:
wait isnt it maximum of two cards with double sli?

Double SLi would be called Quad SLi and need four cards, two cards is just SLi.
kr91 said:
i currently have a 275gtx and i plan on getting 2X 460GTX's in sli and run the 275 as a physX card. so then i could have 3 monitors.

Yes.
kr91 said:
and if so can i run it in the same form as the eyefinity card? where the resolution is like 5000 something by 1080p ? like 3 screens across for games like dirt 2 etc?

Yes.
Score
October 17, 2010 4:02:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Double SLi would be called Quad SLi and need four cards, two cards is just SLi.

Yes.

Yes.

thanks a lot dude. now my last question is should i wait till next year for newer cards? they keep releasing new ones at such a fast pace, its soo hard to keep up with. i dont have money trees outside my house where i can pluck the notes off.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 17, 2010 4:13:00 PM

kr91 said:
thanks a lot dude. now my last question is should i wait till next year for newer cards? they keep releasing new ones at such a fast pace, its soo hard to keep up with. i dont have money trees outside my house where i can pluck the notes off.

That's a question only you can answer, you can wait until next year or the year after that it's up to you.
Score
October 19, 2010 2:32:42 AM

kr91 said:
Hey folks, after looking at the six screen set up and to be honest i dont want a series of debates between nvidia or ATI. all i want to know if its worth gaming over 6 screens and is the ATI card good enough as they're releasing a new range of cards probly by next year for both Nvidia and ATI.

I've always wanted multiple displays and I plan on doing so except i'm not sure if i should be getting SLI, or just this single ATI 5870 card.

I am in the camp that proclaims multi-monitor setup is the way to go. In fact, I am putting the finishing touches on my Eyefinity 6 rig, so I've been doing a lot of research the past few weeks.

If you want a single display stretched across 6 monitors (as opposed to 6 monitors with separate displays) you'll need the 5870. SLI supports a max of two montirs (http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html). If you really want SLI, your best bet is to get a triplehead2go which is an external device capable of stretching the resolution for a single output to 5040x1050 which would support three monitors in 1680x1050. The 5870 theoretically support a resolution up to 8192 x 8192 which covers pretty much any 6 monitor configuration you could want. (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/gpu50-ati-ey...)

Having said that, I would not recommend 6 monitors for gaming. You'll run into the obvious bezel issue in which the actual center of your screen is blocked by the horizontal bezel of your two middle screens. For the reason, I am going with a 5x1 setup in which each of the monitors are in portrait mode. With a 5x1 setup you avoid the center bezel issue and also don't need any mounting brackets as long as your monitors can pivot themselves. This video gives you an idea, though using huge screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkDX2pcg0U

Lastly, there's the performance concerns of running a single HD 5870. The reviews I have read seem to indicate that the card is a powerhouse and should do fine gaming at 5x1. However, the good news is that the card can run with CrossfireX so if the performance wasn't there you could add another card.

When I get my rig setup I will post some information online and provide some analysis. Good luck to ya!
ps - (Here's my build, BTW: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297174-31-geek-machin...)
Score
October 19, 2010 3:02:30 AM
Score
October 19, 2010 3:39:29 AM

Mousemonkey said:
They have, you need to click on the "Multi monitor" tab though.
http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html

Actually, that's the same information and you'll notice the link to FAQ at the bottom is what I posted from. While they are showing how to hook up more than two monitors, don't overlook that in each instance the SLI GPUs are only outputting to two monitors. All other monitors are controlled by on-board GPU or non-SLI cards. This will not support the fullscreen gaming experience the OP wants, though it would have other benefits like allowing a the user to have web browsers or IMs open on a 3rd monitor.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 19, 2010 3:54:55 AM

jkomorek said:
Actually, that's the same information and you'll notice the link to FAQ at the bottom is what I posted from. While they are showing how to hook up more than two monitors, don't overlook that in each instance the SLI GPUs are only outputting to two monitors. All other monitors are controlled by on-board GPU or non-SLI cards. This will not support the fullscreen gaming experience the OP wants, though it would have other benefits like allowing a the user to have web browsers or IMs open on a 3rd monitor.

Yeah you're right, I didn't scroll down through the list properly.
Score
October 29, 2010 3:14:22 AM

Best answer selected by kr91.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 3:14:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!