Can the amd x6 cpu be ran as an x3

dietrr15

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,
I have the amd 1100t x6 black edition. Am I able to run the 6 cores as 3 cores but with double the speed in each of the 3 cores?

Solution
There have been rumors (read as pipedream) of someone developing "reverse hyperthreading" which will allow multi CPU cores to work on one thread. This would allow 6 cores to act as three, with their combined speed intact. This is only an idea however as we lack a programing language that would allow this to happen. Best we have so far is AMD and Intels turbo and overdrive options which throttle back the speed of idle cores and "OC" the active ones allowing them to work even faster.

4745454b

Titan
I think AMDs "overdrive" will add CPU speed automatically. If you have a load that is 3cores or less, it will downclock the idle three, and add up to 600MHz to the active cores. You can't go twice as fast as AMD current fab process doesn't allow for such speeds. (at least with normal cooling.)

Edited for spelling.

Yes, but you don't have to disable cores. It'll already do that if the load only stresses a couple of cores (with all of them enabled).

dietrr15

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No.....I realize you can't run all 6 cores at 6.6ghz. I was told that some mobos will allow you to run as "3" cores with all 6 cores running but three of them running in tandem with the other three to give combined speeds of 6.6ghz over 3 cores instead of 3.3ghz over 6 cores. I must have misunderstood this and as someone has stated, the processor will run three of the cores faster if you don't need more than three cores with your current work load.

who ever told you that was mistaken. when amd's turbo mode kicks in it shuts off 3 cores and starts auto oc'ing the other 3, the 3 not being used are set to minimum idle (almost off) the remaining 3 working cores will then speed up as much as they can within the thermal spec of the chip, 1s it gets to its max temp it will throttle back slightly this will give around a 600mhz as sum1 else said. which is nowhere near another core never mind 3

4745454b

Titan
There have been rumors (read as pipedream) of someone developing "reverse hyperthreading" which will allow multi CPU cores to work on one thread. This would allow 6 cores to act as three, with their combined speed intact. This is only an idea however as we lack a programing language that would allow this to happen. Best we have so far is AMD and Intels turbo and overdrive options which throttle back the speed of idle cores and "OC" the active ones allowing them to work even faster.

Solution