randmax.ini config

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2004 8:28:44 PM

Hi,

can someone explain me exactly the functions of the following switches and
how to configure them in randmax.ini. I experimented a little bit with
them, but i did not get the results i wanted have for taxation. BTW, i read
the article from Dirk Fischbach.

Section 2:

Section 3:
ctx
ntx
nth
cth
nt%

I add my randmax.ini that i created. My goal is to tax natives always (ntx
0) growth method with happiness 70 (n70) until they reach max population
and then safe tax with 40 happiness (nth 40). Colonists should be not taxed
until they reach the population of 1 million (ctx 1). Then they should be
taxed with growth method with happiness 70 (c70) until they reach max
population. Then they should be safe-taxed with 70 happiness (cth 70).

NUK
ATT
bum
dmp
con
mi?
***
000 n70 c70
***
rno
ntx 0
ctx 1
mnt 100
mct 100
mnn 1
mnc 1
mnm 50
mmc 5000
hca 1
not
cot
nth 40
cth 70

Why does my randmax.ini not work?

cu Thomas

More about : randmax ini config

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 11:49:53 PM

Hello Thomas,

I'm using the docs for RANDMAX v2.e5 by Steffen Pietsch as I write
this. If you have a different version, that may be of influence.

Op 2004-07-02, Thomas Klebes schreef <email.address.is.in.the.body@noreply.net>:
> I add my randmax.ini that i created. My goal is to tax natives always (ntx
> 0) growth method with happiness 70 (n70) until they reach max population
> and then safe tax with 40 happiness (nth 40). Colonists should be not taxed
> until they reach the population of 1 million (ctx 1). Then they should be
> taxed with growth method with happiness 70 (c70) until they reach max
> population. Then they should be safe-taxed with 70 happiness (cth 70).
>

> NUK
> ATT
> bum
> dmp
> con
> mi?
> ***
> 000 n70 c70

Now you are taxing natives and colonists if there are more than 70
million of them. You're playing the SuperBorg? ;-)

Try the following:
000 n c1

That's probably your main problem.

> ***
> rno

I always want randmax to randomize the friendly codes, so I leave this
option out.

> ntx 0

You can try just "ntx". Not sure if that makes a difference.

> ctx 1

> mnt 100
> mct 100

Max native and colonist tax. These two are at their default value. Fine.

> mnn 1
> mnc 1

Minimum natives clans before taxing natives and minimum colonist clans
before taxing natives. Default values. Fine.

> mnm 50

Minimum credits to collect before native taxing is considered
valuable. I leave this at the default of 1. 50 should be fine. But
it's worth a shot to remove this line or set it to a lower value and
see what happens.

> mmc 5000

Maximum megacredits allowed to collect. As long as this is the same as
in your host config, this is fine.

> hca 1

happychange includes avianbonus. Steffen recommends leaving this
option away, but I always use it.

BUT: hca does *not* take a parameter. Just have a line with "hca" and
try running randmax again.

> not
> cot

Overtax the natives and colonists to just below their happy
target. Fine.

> nth 40
> cth 70

This brings the happinesses down to 40 and 70 after maximum population
has been reached. Should be fine.

> Why does my randmax.ini not work?

As said, it's probably the 000 line.

My standard for the general section is:
***
ntx
nt% 70
not
cot
hca
cth 70
nth 40
ctx 1
mnn 3000
mmc 5000

nt% 70 is up for debate. I also see an old game where I put that at
30. From the docs: Gives the wished percentage of MC which has to be
collected with the last percent of native-tax. When this percentage
isn't reached then we don't take the last percent of taxes. Default is
0 % (that means take allways the last tax-%).

Hope this helps,

--
Maurits van Rees | planets.maurits@xs4all.nl
http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [Dutch/Nederlands]

Hi Maurits,

Maurits van Rees <planets.maurits@xs4all.nl> wrote in

> I'm using the docs for RANDMAX v2.e5 by Steffen Pietsch as I write
> this. If you have a different version, that may be of influence.

I am also using this version. Nevertheless, the docs from Randmax differ
for example with the description of Randmax from Dirk Fischbach. Also
the docs are in part very hard to understand, IMHO.

>> 000 n70 c70
> Now you are taxing natives and colonists if there are more than 70
> million of them. You're playing the SuperBorg? ;-)

I also thought this in the beginning. But i read through Dirk´s article
und through the docs carefully. Also i tested a littlte bit.

I found out that when the parameter behind n or c is 10 or lower, then
randmax regard the parameter as minimum population that is needed to
tax. When the parameter is between 11 and 100, then randmax regard the
parameter as desired happiness. And it seems that this desired happiness
relates to the current growth taxing, but also to the safe-taxing that
happens after population reached maximum.

So when you want to define a minimum population that is needed to tax it
then you cannot define a desired happiness. Also i found out that at
least with colonists when you define a minimum population to tax, then
it is always safe-taxed (also with c as parameter) when the population
reaches the critical number.

Do you have different experiences?

> Try the following:
> 000 n c1
> That's probably your main problem.

Yes, this is the default settings.

It should mean in an other expression:
000 n70 c1

So it should mean growht-tax natives always with desired happiness 70
and safe-tax colonists when they reach the critical number of 1 million.

One problem here: i cannot define a minimum population for n (for
examploe n1 or n5), because natives are afterwards safe-taxed (in the
case taxation occurs in the same way as with the colonists).

Do you or someone has other information here?

>> ntx 0
> You can try just "ntx". Not sure if that makes a difference.

AFAIK it does not matter.

But one problem is that i did not find any parameter that worked with
ntx. I could not define a minimum population (for example ntx 4) and
also could not define a desired happiness (for example ntx 80).

Should this be possible by the tool?

>> ctx 1

This has the same function as c1. So you can either control the taxation
within the "000" line or within section 3.

So i do not know what the real purpose of ntx, ctx is when there is the
parameter "000 n c" in section2?

>> nth 40
>> cth 70
> This brings the happinesses down to 40 and 70 after maximum population
> has been reached. Should be fine.

Interesting is that nth is overwritten when you set up in section2 "000
n70 c70". Then all natives are safe-taxed with happiness of 70 after
reaching maximum population.

Does anyone know of a randmax alternative that works within dos and is
executed by command-line? Is the randmax code free to work on this tool?

cu Thomas
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 6:11:36 PM

Hi Thomas,

Op 2004-07-05, Thomas Klebes schreef <paradox78@gmx.net>:
> Maurits van Rees <planets.maurits@xs4all.nl> wrote in
>>> 000 n70 c70
>> Now you are taxing natives and colonists if there are more than 70
>> million of them. You're playing the SuperBorg? ;-)
>
> I also thought this in the beginning. But i read through Dirk´s article
> und through the docs carefully. Also i tested a littlte bit.
>
> I found out that when the parameter behind n or c is 10 or lower, then
> randmax regard the parameter as minimum population that is needed to
> tax. When the parameter is between 11 and 100, then randmax regard the
> parameter as desired happiness. And it seems that this desired happiness
> relates to the current growth taxing, but also to the safe-taxing that
> happens after population reached maximum.

You are right. Upon better of the original docs, I saw:
########
c adjust taxes for colonists
NNN gives the minimum population in million
(c2 means tax only when #colonists >= 2.000.000)
- method is same as for natives (method "GROWTH")
- Here the tax-always-with-safetax also works on desert
and arctic worlds, because there we haven't any growth
if NNN > 10 then it works as NNN for cth (see code "CTH")
########

This is not mentioned of the safetax method and the methods for taxing
the natives, but it seems logical to assume this is true for those
cases as well.

> So when you want to define a minimum population that is needed to tax it
> then you cannot define a desired happiness.

Seems true.

> Also i found out that at least with colonists when you define a
> minimum population to tax, then it is always safe-taxed (also with c
> as parameter) when the population reaches the critical number.
>
> Do you have different experiences?

It *should* be that you use orders 'a' and 't' for safetaxing the
colonists and natives and 'c' and 'n' to growth tax them. I can't
remember using the 'a' and 't' orders though. After the maximum
population has been reached, safetax automatically kicks in and by
default will keep the happiness at 70 as a minimum. At least that's
the theory...

When growth taxing there is no need to define a desired
happiness. That should always be 70. Well, you may want 80 or
something, but then it means more taxing and less growth, which is not
what you want.

The global orders nth and cth for defining the desired happiness level
are then only useful when safetaxing. (That includes safetaxing after
the maximum population has been reached.) In the explanation in the
docs about nth and cth only safetax is mentioned, not growth tax.

>> Try the following:
>> 000 n c1
>> That's probably your main problem.
>
> Yes, this is the default settings.
>
> It should mean in an other expression:
> 000 n70 c1
>
> So it should mean growht-tax natives always with desired happiness 70
> and safe-tax colonists when they reach the critical number of 1 million.
>
> One problem here: i cannot define a minimum population for n (for
> examploe n1 or n5), because natives are afterwards safe-taxed (in the
> case taxation occurs in the same way as with the colonists).
>
> Do you or someone has other information here?

Like I said above, defining a desired happiness for the growth method
is useless. My theory now is that such a line would cause randmax to
use safetax instead. So stick to the "000 n c1". Or use n1 to n9 as
you see fit.

Also, this can/should be done with the global parameter mnn:
mnn min natives (clans) before we tax natives (default=1 clan)

The desired happiness - only useful for safetax - can still be
handled with the nth and cth parameters.

>>> ntx 0
>> You can try just "ntx". Not sure if that makes a difference.
>
> AFAIK it does not matter.
>
> But one problem is that i did not find any parameter that worked with
> ntx. I could not define a minimum population (for example ntx 4) and
> also could not define a desired happiness (for example ntx 80).
>
> Should this be possible by the tool?

Not in this way. This should again be handled by the mnn parameter.

>>> ctx 1
>
> This has the same function as c1. So you can either control the taxation
> within the "000" line or within section 3.
>
> So i do not know what the real purpose of ntx, ctx is when there is the
> parameter "000 n c" in section2?

I would put it the other way around: why have a "000 n c" when you
have more control in the global section? There is randgen to
automatically generate a line for all your planets, so a 000 line
should not be necessary.

Let's look at the docs.

########
* 2.3 Working Order at ALL:
===========================

1. The main order is allways the special planet-order
Only if this didn't work
2. The 000-order.
Only if this didn't work
3. Global orders from command-line or from the 3rd section.

!!! commands from the 3rd section OVERWRITES command-line-orders !!!
########

Hm, this could be said a bit clearer. I have always understood it to
mean that randmax first checks if a planet has special orders, that
is: a line specifically for that planet. If not, then the orders from
the 000 line are applied to that planet. If such a line is not found,
then the global orders will be used, which means: some taxing
according to the general tax method and probably the friendly code
gets randomized.

The unclear part is, that the global orders are always taken into
account. If planet 123 has a line "123 f n", then some factories will
be built and the natives will be growth taxed. For the exact way to
tax them, randmax still looks at the global parameters.

The idea is: you set a default tax program with the parameters. Let's
make it a growth tax program by default. Most relevant options:

ntx # Growth tax the natives
cth 70 # Safetax happiness target for colonists
nth 40 # Safetax happiness target for natives (you may want 70)
ctx 1 # Growth tax the colonists if there are more than 1 million of them
mnn 3000 # Only tax natives when there are more than 3000 clans of them.

Note: the comments should *not* be placed in your randmax.ini file.

Then when you don't have any section two lines, all your planets will
be taxed according to this regime.

You can add a line for planets for which you have special
plans. Building factories and mines would be nice of course, but let's
forget about them now.

001 n7 # This is a nice Bovinoid planet, which you decide not to tax
until there are more than 7 million of them.

002 t # Tax the natives with safetax.

003 t30 # The enemy is coming: safetax the natives to a happiness of 30.

000 n c # If you don't want a special line for each planet, you can
define a standard here. As you already have defined ntx and ctx, this
should not be necessary.

>>> nth 40
>>> cth 70
>> This brings the happinesses down to 40 and 70 after maximum population
>> has been reached. Should be fine.
>
> Interesting is that nth is overwritten when you set up in section2 "000
> n70 c70". Then all natives are safe-taxed with happiness of 70 after
> reaching maximum population.

And that's how it _should_ be and how it is documented.

> Does anyone know of a randmax alternative that works within dos and is
> executed by command-line? Is the randmax code free to work on this tool?

See a thread of one or two months ago. The randmax code is
free. Dacian is working on a new version.

I hope this message shed some more light on it and that I didn't tell
any lies. ;-)

--
Maurits van Rees | planets.maurits@xs4all.nl
http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [Dutch/Nederlands]
"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim." - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 8:19:08 PM

Hi Maurits,

Maurits van Rees <planets.maurits@xs4all.nl> wrote in

[...]
> I hope this message shed some more light on it and that I didn't tell
> any lies. ;-)

Indeed, some elements are know clearer to me, especially the relationship
between the 000 line and the global parameters.

Thanks for your helping comments.

cu Thomas
!