Sign in with
Your question

LAN connectivity in Windows 7

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 6:27:39 AM

Hello,just purchased a cheapo desktop running windows 7, 64 bit. Have a linksys router which picked it up the moment we plugged in the nic cord, but can't get the computer to do anything. It won't see the network, or refers to it as a "unidentified' one and won't go through to the internet. It seems like an IP issue, but I can't figure out what to change to fix it. Compaq support jsut wants to reinstall everything over and over again, much to my chagrin

More about : lan connectivity windows

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 9:10:22 AM

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 5:28:01 PM

yep, that is done.....we have spent 6 hours on with compaq support and am at my wits end....we have restored all software, done a reinstall on the ethernet drivers, etc. reset all ip addresses, everythign we can think of
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 6:20:16 PM

When it's connected to the router, use Internet Explorer to access the setup pages using information on the Default Gateway you find in Command Prompt. Follow the steps in Post # of this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28102-18-suppoort-s.... It was written with wireless in mind but it should help you find the right address. Once in and past the log in and password stage, look for settings that show what's connected and if the computer show up as Unknown, go in to Control Panel>System and change the name of the computer. Reconnect to the router and see if that helped - it has done in the past.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 6:44:06 PM

its not letting me access taht link...can you c&p the pertinent info over here?
please
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 8:01:21 PM

Go Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt and at the black screen type IPCONFIG /ALL look for the IP address next to the word gateway -- it'll probably be something like 192.168.0.1
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2010 8:18:14 AM

Quote:
its not letting me access taht link

I hope this isn't another indication of the rapid collapse of the .co.uk site. There's a large chunk of Boards I and others can't access in the block at the bottom of the main Forum page.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2010 8:20:35 AM

Report that on the appropriate feedback forum (if you can access it, that is).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2010 8:39:57 AM

Quote:
Report that on the appropriate feedback forum (if you can access it, that is).

There's a live thread on the subject on the UK Forum Board but I can't get in there now either. :( 

Forum Feedback and Site Feedback fell over for me late on Friday and I had to ask for replies to be PM'd. I'm reluctant to play around with my Hosts file to block the UK site and force the US one but when I go to US it's fine until I try to post a reply whereupon I get bounced back to the broken UK site.

m
l
!