Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Slow Startup/Slow-Mo 3D (Windows 7/Asus P6X58D-E)

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2010 10:53:28 PM

Hello all.

I built my first computer at the beginning of the semester with no major problems and everything worked as smooth as silk. However, a few days ago I tried starting up and it took 10 to 15 minutes to go from the Asus Boot screen (3 minutes), then to this Marvell Adapter screen (3 mins), then back to the Asus boot screen (30 secs), then the Windows load screen for about 3.5 mins.

This is annoying in its own right, but my performance seems to be affected as well. Anything that deals with 3D graphics is moving in slow motion (minimizing/restoring windows, even solitaire). I got the Orange Box on Steam for Black Friday, which worked amazingly well before this all happened. Now the graphical quality is fine, but everything moves in slow motion. It's so weird!!!

Can anybody make a diagnosis as to what the problem may be or should I take it to a computer repair shop? Thanks!

Computer Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
Processor: Intel i7-930
Memory: 6 GB G.SKILL
SSD with Windows: Adata 80GB Intel X23-M
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Graphics: Radeon HD 5850
Power: Corsair CMPSU-850TX
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 8:22:10 AM

The CPU could be throttling down due to high temps. This might have suddenly happened if the heatsink was never fully seated and just came loose.

You could have some major virus.

Probably one of those two.
Score

Best solution

December 14, 2010 3:34:30 PM

even if it was throttling down i would not go that slow. Considering this is happening at the BIOS level too we can rule a virus out. You are try a BIOS update, becase this sounds like a motherboard issue. I have heard of issues when maximizing and minimizing windows would take forever but I have never seen a solution.

Is a BIOS update doesnt help you may want to open a support ticket to Asus.
December 14, 2010 5:10:40 PM

Try resetting the BIOS by shorting the correct jumpers on the motherboard...
Score
December 20, 2010 11:26:50 PM

Ok I figured it out. I had plugged in a USB hub, which is powered solely by the computer's USB port. For some reason this thing must have been drawing way too much power and that's what caused my computer to throttle down. Disconnected and it's just like normal. Does anybody know how a tiny little USB hub could cause such a huge problem?

Otherwise - problem solved.
Score
December 24, 2010 1:47:38 AM

Best answer selected by robotherapy.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 24, 2010 5:07:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!