miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hey Toms came into some extra money. So I decided to save half and spend half. So I have $400 to play with. Thinking of adding a 2nd GPU to my build,and want to get opinions on it or where else to put it?

My current rig
AMD 1055t
Asus M4a89gtd
8gb DDR 3 1600
HX 650
xfx 5870
SSS Kingston 128gb os
Corsair h50 (custom water cooled unit parts ordered)
Cm sniper
Thanks

Solution
If you want to be able to play games at 1080p with max details then go for it. Metro 2033 should be maxed i think and all other games.
You might want to consider upgrading your power supply too. A HX 850w will give you everything you need. Sell the one you have.

But if you do not play such demanding games as metro 2033 at 1080p maxed than keep the money and go on a weekend somewhere with your friends(or wife/family) or put them away. You never know when you need money for something that just comes up.

By the way, good build.

EDIT: you meet the 600w power req for a dual 5870 system but i always say it is better to have a little head room in case you overclock, even more your CPU is overclocked.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
If you want to be able to play games at 1080p with max details then go for it. Metro 2033 should be maxed i think and all other games.
You might want to consider upgrading your power supply too. A HX 850w will give you everything you need. Sell the one you have.

But if you do not play such demanding games as metro 2033 at 1080p maxed than keep the money and go on a weekend somewhere with your friends(or wife/family) or put them away. You never know when you need money for something that just comes up.

By the way, good build.

EDIT: you meet the 600w power req for a dual 5870 system but i always say it is better to have a little head room in case you overclock, even more your CPU is overclocked.

Solution

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Thank you I did put alot of thought on the components thanks to everyone here. So maybe i do play all my ganes at 1920x 1080 (have a sync master p2250) well I guess I will upgrade the psu to a 850hx I like corsair it's been good to me. Will order that and put that in with the water build I am going to start next weekend/ thanks

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

If I do a 2nd gpu will have bottleneck issues? Would it be a waste?

notty22

Distinguished
I wonder what's the point in starting a thread like this.Its your money, do whatever you want to do with it.Why are you asking us?You are preety much aware that your system is up-to-date.And gpu is the only area where you can spend your money.According to me you started this thread to show everyone your powerful rig.
Seriously, stop being a forum nazi. Don't comment if your feeling miserable.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I wonder what's the point in starting a thread like this.Its your money, do whatever you want to do with it.Why are you asking us?You are preety much aware that your system is up-to-date.And gpu is the only area where you can spend your money.According to me you started this thread to show everyone your powerful rig.
I really don't think that it's powerful I feel as if it lacks in games. I'm sorry if you feel that way but in no way am I showing off. That's NOT my intention.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Here is another idea, buy a new monitor or LCD TV. A 32' or something. Since i bought mine(32"), the 2ms 19'(witch was 300+ USD, 1.5 years ago) monitor does not have any power. I can't imagine using a smaller one now..ha ha ha.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

According to his member configuration the CPU is at 3.8Ghz. If that's the case there should be no bottleneck's.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Yes 3.8 so thank you for that info that's good now I can make a decision with a little more educaton. I am definitely going to do the psu. Thanks

There is no need to upgrade the PSU, here is a chart that may surprise you:

5870CF_Power_Draw.png

And that is with an overclocked i7 975 @ 4Ghz...

Cheers =)

TRENDING THREADS