XP on a new eMachines system?

Hello,

Looking for opinions on running XP on an eMachines system with a Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 GHz and 4GB RAM. I'm thinking of getting this system but it doesn't come with an operating system or disc. I have my sp1XP install disc and license from the old Dell 4600 I need to replace before it dies completely (intermittent no-boot). I've had to reinstall XP and realize it takes quite a while to get it fully updated.

The old Dell does handle most of what I need it to do. I've considered replacing the motherboard and hoping that it fixes the no-boot issue but its a shot in the dark. I've replaced the power supply and hard drive to keep it going but realize this machine is going on 8 years.

I'm going for inexpensive options as I get the feeling that in two or three years we'll have a better idea of type of computer we need. (i.e. TV's integrating streaming and GoogleTV etc.)

This eMachines had a favorable review on Cnet and looks like a reasonable option to get us by for another three years or so.

I'm happy with XP but just don't know if a modernish hardware upgrade will be beyond what XP is designed.

Any insights appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about emachines system
  1. It is unlikely that the XP install disk will work on the new machine, and your license likely is tied to your old computer. Spring for a Home Premium version of W7, ~$100 at newegg.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt eMachines Windows XP Systems Product