Sign in with
Your question

MSATA as bootup and cache?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2011 6:28:57 PM

I am building a new system and my motherboard has a mSATA slot onboard. From what I understand Intel has set this up specifically as a cache disk for their "Smart Response Technology". If I purchase a 64GB mSATA card for my mobo can I use it for both the OS and also caching? I will be installing Win7 64 Professional. I have 2 1.5TB drives for my software. I just want the mSATA as an OS boot disk and cache (if this is possible with Smart Response). Or, if not I will just use it as cache only but it might be overkill.

Your thoughts?

More about : msata bootup cache

a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 8:14:47 AM

No way. Get a full size SSD in the 120GB and above capacity and use it as pure boot and program driver (no SRT) for the best performance per dollar ratio.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:25:21 AM

One of the reasons the SRT appealed to me was that the way it improved the most run programs and even boot time. Also I am kinda tapped out and cant afford a full sized SSD. I might just leave it as cache only and boot from the SATA hard drive. I have seen tests where it performed only marginally slower than the SSD. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 10:30:15 AM

Even if you are using SRT. A normal SATA SSD will still give you better performance to price ratio than using mSATA drive.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:45:56 PM

For sure, the HD+SRT SSD is an option for now. Thanks.
m
l
!