PSU adequate for system...?

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have a question regarding my PSU and if it is enough for my system?

I have the following

Intel Core i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz
Foxconn Flammingblade
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 @ 775/1000
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850 @ 775/1000
Corsair 6 GB RAM 1600 MHz
DVD-ROM RW
Wireless network card
Rosewill 850 WATT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182072&cm_re=rosewill_power_supply-_-17-182-072-_-Product

It took some time for me to setup the crossfire but it is working OK for most applications.

The issue I'm having is I'll be running no problem at all for 5-10 minutes at a time, then the screen will go black for a few seconds, then I might run for 30 minutes no problem, and the screen will do it again. There isn't any crashing associated with the problem, just the screen going black.

I ran Furmark stability testing overnight and watched it for about 30 minutes and my system was working the next morning and while watching it it ran very smooth.

I'm not crazy about the PSU, but are the symptoms I'm suffering indicative of PSU not supplying enough power? If so I figured Furmark or Heaven Benchmark would give me issues, but neither do.

I don't have a huge budget at the moment but would be willing to buy a Corsair or Antec 800+ watt PSU if it could remedy the situation. I was planning on buying a new one for future upgrades of the video card setup, but was hoping to get at least a few years out of the current PSU.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Yes, Furmark for Multi GPU with max settings, Post FX, stability testing, but not extreme burn. It didn't produce a log showing it was OK, but I figured since the system didn't crash then the PSU was OK, but I've heard about AMD cards throttling back to limit damage during Furmark runs.

The graphs showed that both cards were being fully stressed, too.

If the PSU is OK, then that just leads me to a whole series of questions/posibilities...