Sign in with
Your question

Getting Into PC Gaming

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 12:20:16 AM

I'm looking to get into PC gaming as I've been a console gamer for my entire life. I've planned on purchasing an AlienWare M17x as I am looking for a system that is both mobile and can provide myself with top of the line gaming performance. I do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to selecting upgrades to add ontop of the model I plan on purchasing. I realize I seem like a newb, but I'm just looking to purchase myself a system that will allow myself to enjoy PC gaming as if it were a console. So if anyone can take a look at the model below and let me know which upgrades are worth making I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to keep the cost below $3000 so only suggest upgrades that are well worth the extra coin. Thanks in advance.

Here is the model I plan on purchasing: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&fb=1&l=en&model_id=alienware-m17x&oc=nam17xarn_f_2e&s=dhs&vw=icon

More about : gaming

December 14, 2010 12:28:59 AM

Alienware is a huge markup for what you get.

Do you really want a gaming laptop? a really solid gaming DESKTOP can be made for 1/3 of your total, including monitor, keyboard, and speakers.
m
l
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 12:35:39 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
Alienware is a huge markup for what you get.

Do you really want a gaming laptop? a really solid gaming DESKTOP can be made for 1/3 of your total, including monitor, keyboard, and speakers.

Really? I just assumed a desktop would be more expensive or similar in price but unportable. Also, can you buy prebuilt PC's because I do not want to have to build one myself. If you could give me a link to a few desktop PC's that are able to run game at a high performance I'd really appreciate that. Thanks...and again I know I'm a newb :( 
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2010 8:56:47 AM

many here will suggest you can build your own for less, and that it isn't that difficult.

However, you can look at custom builders like iBuyPower or Cyberpower, who can get you a decent system for $1000-1200 or so.

Desktops are less expensive because their parts are not as miniaturized as a laptop.

m
l
December 14, 2010 3:35:00 PM

Welcome to the awesome world of PC gaming. I am curious as to what made you decide to get into PC gaming after being a console gamer. Have you been bitten by the tech bug? I think you will find your experience quite enjoyable. Also, be aware that PC gaming usually requires an upgrade of some sort around once a year in order to keep up with current games. If you want portability, a decent laptop can be had for around $1500 but is not upgradable so it won't last quite as long. A desktop will likely be cheaper and offer better performance and the possibility of upgrading a year down the road.

Another option is www.digitalstormonline.com. They offer competitive options and will overclock your graphics card and processor for free.
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=...
Building the above system on newegg.com would save you about $300 and be aware that it does not come with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers. Just food for thought.
m
l
!