Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2600k running hot under load

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2011 2:05:21 PM

I've had my new SB build up and running for a few days now and have noticed that my core temps max at around 84C (during extended sessions of BFBC2). Idle temps in Windows drop all the way down to 29C. I'm on the stock cooler and have my P8P67-M Pro set to the "performance" EZ tune setting (3.6GHz-4.1GHz turbo). Is 84C dangerous to run at? It only gets anywhere near that temp when gaming (stays in the 30's-40's doing anything else). I'm assuming my HSF install is ok considering the low idle temps. Thanks guys.

More about : 2600k running hot load

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 10, 2011 2:18:16 PM

Those temps are pretty normal for the crappy Intel stock cooler. If you're going to keep that overclock (or do a real overclock) on a daily basis, pick up an aftermarket cooler to get the temps down.

I'd advise keeping it under 75ºC under load. And by load, I mean Prime95 load, not gaming. Prime95 works your CPU much harder than any game does. For gaming, your temps should be 15-20ºC cooler than Prime95 temps.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 12:08:06 AM

+1, go aftermarket or try more ventilation in ur case
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2011 1:48:13 AM

I changed the ez tune setting in the BIOS back to normal and my temps under load dropped to 71C. As for updating my BIOS, I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'll probably end up buying an aftermarket cooler here soon though...
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 1:52:15 AM

majin ssj eric said:
As for updating my BIOS, I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

With a brand new product like Sandy Bridge, you should update every chance they give you. After the first three months have come and gone and BIOSes and boards are stable, then you can do the "...don't fix it" thing.
m
l
March 11, 2011 2:42:05 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
With a brand new product like Sandy Bridge, you should update every chance they give you. After the first three months have come and gone and BIOSes and boards are stable, then you can do the "...don't fix it" thing.

Well, everything is stable and working right now and I want to keep it that way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 3:26:27 AM

You're implying that doing a BIOS update will suddenly make it stop working? lol I've done probably close to a thousand BIOS updates over my tech support career, and none of them have ever done that.

Overclocking is more likely to kill your PC than a BIOS update is, and yet you're still doing that. A BIOS update can do real good for your system, especially on a platform as new as Sandy Bridge and Cougar Point.

Oh well ... not trying to force-feed you or anything.
m
l
March 11, 2011 3:36:32 AM

No, I understand. I'm just leery of messing with anything with the build working so good. I checked Asus's website and there is only one update available for my board (and it "fixes" a problem I don't even have). I just don't see a need to upgrade at this time. Thank you for the response though.....
m
l
March 21, 2011 1:21:48 AM

*UPDATE*

Yesterday I picked up a CM Hyper 212 Plus HSF and installed it. Now my idle temps are 25C-30C and load under Intel Burn Test is 72C max after 20+ runs. I'm satisfied with this temp (especially since I changed the multiplier to 44 and am now running at 4533MHz)...
m
l
March 21, 2011 1:22:49 AM

Best answer selected by majin ssj eric.
m
l
!