Sign in with
Your question

Fry Motherboard by installing Windows 7??

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2011 8:36:30 PM

Is it possible to fry a motherboard by trying to install Windows 7? The mobo is in my old pc its an Intel 925XCV, says right on the Intel website that windows 7 is not supported and will not be
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2011 9:35:12 PM

windows 7 like vista requires all drivers to be signed so it won't work with older software, that much of the fuss with vista first coming out.

it won't fry the motherboard, since it will just not work at all.
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:43:28 PM

No it's not possible,
Worst case scenario it just wont work.

Most of the time when a board is said to be incompatible with windows 7 it usually mean that some drivers have not been ported, hence some components might not work (or not work at all).

I'd stick with windows XP if I were you, or consider a PC upgrade / replacement if you really need windows 7.

This page is very clear about the issue

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+925X+Express+Chipset+Family+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+D925XCV

"Windows 7* Driver Availability for Discontinued Intel® Desktop Boards

The discontinued Intel® Desktop Boards listed below do not have Windows 7* support."
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2011 10:30:34 PM

I installed 7 on this particular pc, which is kind of old (pentium 4 3.4ghz, intel 925xcv) and it worked for maybe a few days, then it died. Ended up I had to replace the mobo, which worked and started right up. Just replaced the C: drive (another pc had a bad hard drive so I stole the one out of the older pc) and when I tried to install 7 on it, it would blue screen, and a bunch of other stuff, so I formatted and tried to put XP on it, that didn't work. Now the bios doesn't even load, I get no intel screen, no nothing, doesn't even seem like a display signal is reaching my monitor
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:43:47 AM

It could be a number of things, but I doubt win7 is to blame.
Since you had problems with 2 different motherboards
my first suspect would be your PSU, what brand and wattage is it? What other components are you using? An underpowerd or lower quality PSU can lead to a lot of problems.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:49:27 AM

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W
Intel BOXD925XCVLK LGA 775 Intel 925X ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:02:53 AM

Very good PSU and it should have plenty of power,
Is the system powering up (fan, leds...) or nothing is happening at all?

If it does boot up can you hear any beep code? (plug a PC spearker if you don't already have one in)

You should probably start by resetting cmos in case something got messed up.

Then if you have spare parts you can work with I'd try to swap them to try and isolate the source of the issue.
m
l
!