Sign in with
Your question

First build in a long time

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2010 1:32:13 AM

My old Pentium D isn't cutting it anymore. I am doing more video conversion from my HD JVC video camera and some photo editing. The system mainly does web browsing and email. LOML always has a ton of windows open.

I have a Frys and Microcenter local and I like Newegg but I am open to anywhere.

I was thinking i5 but I saw the AMD combo deals at Microcenter and did some compares on Anandtech and it looks like a better route. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I already have HD and optical drives. I wanted SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 to try to future proof as much as possible. I also want to have a quite machine that won't break the bank on power.

Here is what I grabbed from Microcenter.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition $159.99

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/U Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Motherboard $79.99 - combo deal

Corsair Memory XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual channel Desktop memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) $134.99 after rebate

Cooler Master USP 100 ATX Case with eXtreme 550W Power Supply $59.99

Do I need an aftermarket heatsink or is the OEM one pretty good? [/b][/b]
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler $29.99

I was planning to use the on-board video since I don't play games on the system and the 8 gig of memory is plenty to add some to the video card if needed. Would a standalone video card help with ripping DVDs or encoding movies?

I will be running Win 7 64bit Ultimate.

Please give me any changes or advice. I may hit up Mircocenter tomorrow if this looks good. The out the door price with the heatsink and tax is $509

More about : build long time

a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 1:46:53 AM

Please put it in this format, it makes it easier for us to help you!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 2:43:03 AM

You should be fine with that build. Make sure the memory is supported for that motherboard by GOING HERE, adding the appropriate info and downloading the QVL. Or check Corsair's memory configurator HERE for compatibility. I don't see where Corsair has that board listed but I might have missed it so follow the link and check for yourself. If it's not on one of those lists try something that is.
The stock heatsink should be fine as long as you're not overclocking and your room temp is ~ 75*F. Otherwise you might want the hyper 212 plus. You can pick it up for about $15 from Newegg.
The onboard might be ok. Video card won't help for burning DVD's but would give you a better picture while rendering, which is usually unimportant. Does that onboard chip produce 1080 HD? If not you will want a card that does. Only way to view the end product. The 8 GB won't help much with video cause the motherboard will only allocate so much of your memory for it. It will however, help with the rendering portion of your playtime.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 5:48:44 AM

For the cost of that 8GB RAM and your desire to hit USB/SATA 3.0 consider mixing/matching Egg and Microcenter? Also negative on CM Extreme line of PSUs @@ You could always slap on a PCIe add on card for USB/SATA 3.0 if/when u need that interface hehe

Items off Egg : $180AR

Items off MC: $170 (965BE + MSI 785G-E53)
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundl...
IGP from back in 2008 i.e 780G/HD3200 is fine for Full HD so...

$350 Core parts

Optional: If u want to start OC a.s.a.p

Scythe MUGEN-2 Rev.B cooler $29 with promo code
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-MUGENB&tit...

60B Sandforce based SSD $99AR Free Ship
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 14, 2010 10:10:18 AM

Thanks guys that is excatly what I was looking for.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2010 1:09:00 PM

Yep happy shopping/building and you are welcomed ^^
m
l
!